Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cuda 440

Need Advice From The Rod Building Pros

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking to build a (GSB1361mh) 8-n-bait rod, for the surf on the south shore of Long Island. It will be a conventional set up...reel will be a squidder.

I was thinking about using the bnlg guides, is that alright? I am unsure of the guide sizes that I should go with? I am also unsure of which reel seat I should go with and size...I will be using cork tape for the butt and fore grips.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would go for a BSVLG 30 a BSVLG 25 and a BSVLG 20 , then change to a BNLG 20 and then reduce the sizes using all BNLG's to the tip. Using the higher framed BSVLG soinner guides for the first few guide will allow you to push the gathering guide way out from the reel , like almost 40 inches. that will mean less total guides and guides and better distance. I would finish at 1 12 guide and use a 16 SIC tip.

For determining reel seat size, you need to lay out the rod and measure the butt end diameter at the point you want the reel seat to occur. The seat needs to be able to slide down to this point with just a modest amount of clearance. A single layer of standard cork tape will add approximately 1/8" to the blank's diameter, so a reel seat just large enough to snug over the feathered off end of the butt wrap is ideal.

Cuda,

Ive built a ton of these for customers this year... I use fuji BNLG's.. 30,25,20,16,16,12,12,12 and a 16 tip (most guys asked for 16 tip to pass knots thru, I like better for casting). I used to use a 25 as the first guide, but many of the guys I build for are using a Newell 344 (big high reel) and the 30 seems to keep the line off the blank better. The reel seat is a fuji #24.. I would think about keeping the reel seat a little further away from the butt than you are maybe used to. with a big rod like this throwing extra weight (8,10 oz and a big chunk), the extra leverage at the butt seems to gives the caster more comfort and power loading the rod. On all my spinning rods, I try to keep the reel seat as far back as possible to the butt, allowing the rod to load better from the reel seat on up, with this blank, the comfort and power advantages really make the rod a pleasure to use.

BC