Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kml

Cork tape repair ?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Al / others,

A buddy of mine has a st. croix rod with cork tape grips. The fore grip is peeling off. I told him I would fix it for him because I gotta believe that this is a pretty simple operation.

Are there any tips or pitfalls that you could share before I start.

Thanks in advance..

KML,

Peel off the old cork tape. Clean off the residue of the old tape. The best thing I have found to use is "Goof Off" which you can get in Home Depot.

Once the blank area is clean, gently sand the surface of the blank area with 600 grit paper and thoroughly clean the area.

I use the extra thick 1/8 inch cork tape. Apply the tape to the blank making sure the edges of the tape are tightly aligned. Use masking tape to temporarily hold the ends down. Let the tape set for 24 hours.

Secure the end of the tape next to the reelseat with electrical tape. On the leading edge of the cork tape square off the edge with a single edge blade. Place a band of masking tape on the blank right in front of the squared off edge of the cork tape.

Gently sand down the leading edge of the cork tape and feather it into the blank.

Remove the masking tape and wrap the leading edge of the cork tape with electrical tape to secure it. Apply two thin coats of finish to both bands of electrical tape.

That's it.

Al G.