Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Breakaway 1266 vs. 1387

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Al,

Thanks for your quick response on the guide height question. On to my next...

I am planning to build my first surf rod around the end of the year (Christmas present). I have done a number of freshwater sticks years ago and am looking forward to tinkering around with it again. My question is this: can you tell me the respective sweet spots on the Breakaway 1266 and 1387? Also, does the 1266, being a lighter rod, gain me some flexibility for use as a plugging rod. Is the 1387 too heavy for redfins and spoons? I will build the rod for spinning and use it primarily for surf on the South Carolina coast.

Love your forum. It has already given me much useful info.

Pastor Marty

PM,

I have no experience with these blanks. Maybe another SOL member can contribute some info.

Glad you enjoy the forum. Lots of good people contribute.

Al

I believe those blanks are the 10'6" and 11'6" also made by breakaway as the LDFC 106/2MH and the other is sold only as a blank.

the breakaway sites are down below.

I have the 11'9" but on the All star website it says 1-3 OZ. which is wrong. The Breakaway site for my rod says 3-6 oz. which is right, so I would go by the Breakaway site for the proper lure weight.

Breakaway website Eye placement for breakaway rods Rod building website #1 rod building website #2 rod building website #3 rod building webiste #4

Good luck,

Walter

Based on the description of the rod your looking for and the lures you intend to throw I would not suggest the 1266. I would reccomend the 1265. This is not a breakaway but is still manufactured by Allstar. This is a great rod and will handle redfins and metal up to 2.5 ounces. I have just completed this rod in conventional and am in the process of starting one in spinning. Check out the 1265 you won't be disappointed.

------------------

<*{{{{{{-<

FISHLANDERS VP

Hi Al , I've been in Mexico. 8 great days of good weather and fun and one night being sick like I haven't been since I got food poisoning in Aruba 20 years ago. It was a very bad Burritto! smile.gif

To have any hope of throwing a redfin you need the 1265. If you are new to surfcasting , you should probably start with the shorter 1145. Also builds into a great rod. With a proper use of the guides to control the rod action you can make it nice for throwing a redfin and it will also throw to 3 OZ . Anyway , that's the one I'd recommend for you. If you really like to crank something , the 1266 will really send 3.5 OZ bottle plugs a mile. I don't know anything about the 11'6" -- 1387 . The Breakaway 11'9" is a great rod for casting 4 to 6 OZ . Surfgirl won the womans National championship one year with one I think. About 4 years ago I did an evaluation of the rod for Tres when the Breakaways were just getting big and I had a cast calculated out using the line cranks at 168 yards with about 4.5 OZ. I felt like I needed a Chiropractor for a week after that whole day of just busting long casts out there. Anyway , it'll get it out there. Its also a GREEEAAAT Bait chucker. For up here in New England its perfect.

Sorry for the edit, It was actually 163 yards not 168. Not a big deal but i might as well be accurate! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 05-31-2002).]

Perhaps I need to be more specific. Most of the time I will use the rod to throw bait with a 3 or 4 ounce sinker. If blues start running the surf, I would like to be able to cut off the shock leader and sling a lure. I should also add that I am a young man in reasonably good shape who tends to overpower rods (some of which I realize is poor technique). I am the same with golf and tend to need clubs with stiffer than normal shafts. Has anyone out there used the 1387 blank? The breakaway site shows the same weight range for the 1266 and 1387. Is the latter just a longer rod that enables you to throw something a bit farther?

Thanks to everyone for bearing with the questions of the neophyte.