Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfratny

grips

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

going to build my 9ft ron arra soon and was thinking of using shrink tubing for grips. my question is does this material need to be put over cork first or can you place it directly on the the blank itself? also want to put a fugi reel seat on . what size should i get ? going to be using a vs150. i usually use the tape on reel seat but decided to use to try the ones that need to be glued on thanks Don

You could probably put it directly on the blank if you secure it with a little epoxy, but unless you have very small hands, the grip won't be big enough to be comfortable. You could use cork tape or butt twine under the shrink-wrap to give you the size you'll need. Also, there is a new shrinkwrap with a diamond pattern made into it that looks good. Its the same as what is used on the new Pinnacle Shoreline Classic surf rods.

Stringman is correct, the butt diameter will be too thin for a comfortable grip. I would recommend you put two layers of 1/8 inch thick cork tape.

If you want to put a layer of shrink tubing over the cork tape make sure you use the rubber based tubing since it is alot more durable the other types of shrink tubing.

The shrink-tubeing with the diamond pattern is imported from Japan , I think. It has almost a velvety feel to the diamonds. The only place that I know of that carries it is Bad-fish.com. About $20 for 4ft.