Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
libassboy

new rod builder

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Ive been reading alot of posts on here lately and i have to say ive learned alot already from you guys, it never ceases to ammaze me how knowledgeable and helpful you all are HappyWave.gif

I want to build my first rod, and know there is a major learing curve involved. I wanna build a ten foooter maybe ten and a half feet. Im looking for something that will throw plugs, tins, etc up to about 4 oz's. Also i would like it to be able to work pencils well too. What would be a good starting blank, but still be a quality one? Also what size guides/ spacing should i use? Thanks much in advance!!!!

Lami SB 1363M. Fiberglas, not too expensive and will do everything you ask for. Its 136 inches long or 11 feet 4 inches. Cut 10 inches off the butt and it's 10 and a half. (Or Lami SB 1213M same thing but 10 foot). Wrap cork tape up 30 inches from the butt and tape on a fuji plate reel seat. First guide should be about 30 inches from the face of the reel and be a 40HH Fuji BHVLG. Then a 30 BSVLG, followed by 20 , 16 and 12 BLVLG single foots and a 12 tip.

Ballpark spacing from the rod tip 7, 16, 28, 46, 70. Tape them on, mount a reel, put a bend in the rod, and see how the line goes thru the guides. Move them around to evenly distribute the stress. Make a few test casts and when you're happy wrap it.

Steve

Like SteveM said ya can't go wrong with a 1363M, an old standby for many and very inexpensive by todays standards. GSB1321M will throw the heaviest of plugs well even into the nastiest headwinds...pricey blank to be practicing on though.Good luck whichever you choose.

wink.gif