Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Russ L

Allstar 1418-2 set up

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a 1418-12 blank I want to set up for a use with a 525mag &/or magged 535gs. How about nlg's, 30,25,20,16,16,16 and a 16 sic? The 16's should keep the line off the blank and large enough for the shock knot. I'm wondering if the 30 is too large and a smaller 25 would do for the butt guide? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Russ

russ i have had good results using 25,20,16,12,12,12,12, and a 12sic tip. i like the alconite bmnag guides. they sit higher than the nlgs do.as for shock knot problems, i use 40 shock with 17 running line on my 1418 and have had no problems. tight lines. jim.

Don't see any reason not to use 16's as primary running guides, but 12's are plenty large enough for shocker...I use 14lb line to 50lb shocker,passes easily.Did you do stress distribution yet, if you don't really need 16's why add the extra weight/wind resistance. No need for a 30 gathering guide IMO, when you stress test push the 25 out as far as you can, every rod I tested with a 30 showed no advantage.

biggrin.gif

This is my set up with Alconites 30 25 20 16 12 12 12 and a sic tip with 20 mm ring. I dont having the spacing in my head at the moment As for the 30 mm no problem with it being to large Big Dave

I had built this same rod for myself a few years ago matched to a 525mag using nlg,s 30,25,20,16,12,12,12, 16 sic tip. I tie 50lb mono to 20lb mono I could always hear and feel the knot passing thru the guides. I think a lot depends on the knot you tie I have had good luck with Alberto's Knot. Some people can tie a much smaller knot than this one.The following year I changed the BNLG 12s to 16s now the shock leader passes without a problem. I always use a 30 butt guide on rods of 10' and up I want as little contac as possible with the line at this point.

I kept the 16 tip but after reading Dave's post I think I will give a 20 sic tip a try this year.