Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcaster1

GSB1321L - 5 or 6 Guides?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

My latest project is a GSB1321L for South Shore Long Island sand beaches. I see that many of the forum members build this rod with 5 guides. I can do that too - no problem. I like to build my rods "old school" with 50mm stripper not a 40HH.

My thought is that if I build the rod with 6 guides: 50, 40, 30, 25, 20 & 16 + 16 tip it will more closely follow the flex of the rod and give me more control when fighting a fish.

I have a GSB1201L that I built with the 5 guide set-up and it casts like a rocket. It just seems to me that the extra foot of the 11 ft. rod might need a 6th guide.

I would appreciate your opinions.

I'd probably build it just like you said. 6 guides and a 16 tip. Being the 1 L , I might use a 40HH instead of the 50 depending on the reel. If its a big spooled reel like Penn 750 , 850 , 0r 950 SS, I'd use the bigger guide. If its like a penn 650 SS size , I would probably use the 40HH.

upck.gif ....if you must apply all that weight to the top section of the rod, try 50,40,25,20,16,12 with a 16 tip. I like WBG's suggestion of a SIC tip and would also add it to the 20,16,and 12. Seems to make sense to me to add smoother guides towards the tip section as the line coil tightens up during a cast, but also when a decent fish is ripping line off the reel...... hammer-time.gif the great guide debate goes on!!!

Surf, I would second Rapt's advise, but I like the guides to match. All this is a guideline and you should ultimately do a deflection test and casting test to decide what you like best.