Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sandman

pencil popper

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Jeff,

have you been checking out Diggers and Cookies 132 1M's?? LOL

youre right, you cant do much better than the 132 1M, however, Im test driving an XRA 1322, I hear it might be better, well see....

BC

BC, I've got them both. For pure pencil popping,

the 1321m is much softer than the 1322 and you get much more bounce/waggle with it. The 1322 is much faster and will zing the pencil a mile, but working the pencil (the right way) seems much, much easier with the 1321m. I've got one wrapped by Johnny's. I've felt (5) diffrent 1321m though,

Diggers, Gary's, Nib's,Cookies and mine. Mine seems heavier and not as fast as Gary's/Nibs/and Diggers. Mine is more like Cookies, heavier slower and more parabolic.

How old is yours? Cookies is probably 4-5 years old (and has caught a TON OF FISH)...Diggers and Gary's are brand new... could be a differnce... but, this just proves that there is a great deal of difference in action within model #'s, another factor is how they are built. same rod built off spline (bad) or built on the back of the spline (ok) could act differently than a rod built on the spline...

BC

Line,

I did too, believe me... but then I Was forced to use the 132 1M on a trip and I realized that I could work a pencil popper 2-3 times longer than with Glass...

BC

Big Country, how did you like the XRA1322 for pencil poppers compared to a glass rod. I've had the XRA1322 (Linesider built it) for 2 years now and I think it's great for Long Island plugging. It's a tad heavier than my GSB120-1L but has miles more action in the upper 1/3 of the rod. When I fish "M", the XRA1322 gets the call while the GSB120-1L is the backup. The 1322 will cast anything from 1 - 4oz w/o a problem and IMHO will dance a pencil popper decently.

I've also seen one of the S-Glass rods Linesider builds (he built it for hipkvw)

and while I didn't fish with it, the top dances very easily while the butt of the rod doesn't even feel the vibration.