Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Removing old reel seat???

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

In the post "worth fixing" I describe the vintage Lamiglas rod I am thinking of resurrecting. It has an old chrome reel seat and I would like to remove it and either replace with a new seat or build rod without a seat... just cork wrapped butt. What were these seats attached with?? What's the best way to remove it without damaging the blank? Thanks.

If you have the tools (little abrasive cutoff wheels) , the best way is to slice the seat lengthwise , I theink three cits workks best , then just pry the sections off by putting a screwdriver in to the cut and twisting. Don't pry down under the seat onto the blank or you could collapse the blank wall under the seat.

A cautious application of heat might be worth a try. That chromed brass seat should transfer the heat promptly to the glue bond beneath, and considering the age of that build, the adhesive may give up the ghost fairly easily.

Great job Bill. Careful heating for about 30 seconds, firm slow pressure and it slid right off. EXCELLENT. Thanks again.

You're quite welcome, and glad to hear that worked out for you; that one's often worth a careful shot on an oldie with a metal reel seat. Newer stuff - with graphite seats and newer, better adhesives - are probably best dealt with using Saltheart's suggestion.