Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

Plug bags: what size, design & how many?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Okay so I've been talking about replacing my Aqua Skinz plug bags for year, but now I'm finally going to do it. I've reached my limit of trying to dig treble hooks out of the material every time I use it. It particular sucks at night. Further, they soak up water better than sponges and don't let it go of it. They get heavy to carry. My bags are hanging in my spare bedroom and are still damp from last Sunday (4 days ago). No wonder my hooks and hardware rust! On the other hand I really like the design of their medium and small lure bags.

Based upon recommendation of a trusted friend (a.k.a. CHIEF500) I'm seriously considering the Commando. Apparently the guarantee and customer service is outstanding.

I'm curious about three things.

1st, what is the advantage of round vs square tubes? It seems to me the square ones are more space efficient in the bag and the round ones would waste space between the tubes. Have you found this to be true? Do you guys prefer round or square tubes and why?

2nd, how big of a plug bag do you carry? The AS medium (single row 5 tube) bag is perfect for day time for me. I also pack a small (3 square tube single row) for night time. When the sun comes up I put that one back in the buggy. In years past I have also packed a jetty specific bag for deeper running plugs, bucktails and more rubber. This leads me to my 3rd & final question

How many plug bags do you take with you and or keep packed?

It's a big investment so I want to make the right choice. Any and all input, experiences & opinions are appreciated.

Thanks & tight lines.

JD

The Round tubes leave some gaps around the bag, those gaps are great for sliding thin plugs or metals into. So either way you can utilize the space. I only use one bag and change plugs and tins out according to where in fishing and the conditions. I leave a bucket or box with more gear in the car. Usually you know what your getting into before you leave the house.

I recently bought a MAK 3 tube and it was the best investment. No more hooks getting caught everywhere. I can fit a bunch of tin/bucktails and around 8-10 plugs depending on how crowded I want to make my bag. Either way I end up throwing the same 3 or 4.

Good luck

Interesting note on the AS fabric holding water. For the same reason I stopped using a bag that was given to me as a gift. Not AS material but more like canvas with a beautiful stitched striper on the flap.

I do have several bags. The one i use the most is a Bronco I bought on SOL. They dry pretty quick. You've been on the site for a while so I won't rehash too much of what has been written.

I still carry my plugs w the head up. For one set of tubes I cut some slots and glued some semi rigid foam around the outside. Keeps hooks out of the fabric & less tangles. I always try for efficiency. I want to be able to change lures in the water-no light and do it quickly. SO my favorite set up (unless I'm taking a long walk) is a single row of tubes in a double row bag. That leaves room for bucks,plastic, bagged teasers & leaders. I have other single and/or double rows of tubes to switch out.

Make some notes on what you really did throw and what you wished you brought and make your decision based on that. Some like to carry way more then they ever use. I can understand that if you go really far from the vehicle.

I don't think any one bag will cover all of the possibilities. But you can get close if you note you needs. Last time I fished (last week) I used a single row Bronco belt bag. Still only used half of what i carried. I wasn't efficient because I had to leave the water to change needles because I put 4 in 1 tube. Changed that the next time I moved to another location. On the flip side -I just rotated the bag to my chest and drove to the next location and was walking over the dunes within a minute after parking.

Round vs square is all a matter of preference but I feel like the round tubes better suite my needs during the spring run when i carrying bigger plugs like pencils and BIG swimmers. On the other hand square tubes tend to be a bit smaller and that's what I like in the fall when I have a bunch of different needles, metals, and skinny swimmers. The high end bags are very nice and all of the ones offered these days are of great quality. However if you aren't swimming, or doing a lot of wading, those extra dollars you are going to spend could go elsewhere like a rod or reel. I recently picked up an old canyon bag to replace one that was stolen, and I love it. Shame they are no longer made.

If you like the Aquaskinz deign why not go with the elite Hunter series? I have a 4 tube square AS Hunter bag and its great, ill only use a dacron bag from now on( I have a standard 3 tube AS bag that I keep back in the truck and ill use for stealth fishing when I need fewer lures. Ebb Point also makes excellent bags, I'm going to order a BT pouch next.

If you can swing the commando go with it you will not be disappointed. I have the 2 tube with removable front pouch and I love it. I'll be getting the 3 tube this winter.

Rick

I just picked up a precision pak plug bag , its almost identical to my other one ( woodstream tackletot - pretty old ) i bought this one because of the size , one foot tall 13 x 8 , if i pack it with small tubes i can fit 30 plugs , the least i can fit is around 20-25.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReelSharp View Post

I just picked up a precision pak plug bag , its almost identical to my other one ( woodstream tackletot - pretty old ) i bought this one because of the size , one foot tall 13 x 8 , if i pack it with small tubes i can fit 30 plugs , the least i can fit is around 20-25.

I had one of those. Decent for guys on a tight budget, but mine was a hook magnet.

I second the AS Elite series, the material stops any hooks from getting stuck.

I use the Elite bag with round tubes, just for the same reason mentioned to hang thinner plugs/tins on the outside. Another reason for the AS Elite, at least for me was that you can see them in a store prior to buying them.

JD I like my MAK Angler it's held up pretty well but I don't wetsuit with it or anything.  It dries really fast if wet and does not get heavy if soaked.  I have the 4 (round) tube bag.  It fits everything I need plus a little extra.  I will usually plan out what I pack based off conditions, where I plan on fishing and what bait is in the area.  The only minor issue I have is what Artie Fishil mentioned.  If packing 4+ lures in one tube they can get a little tangled when trying to pull them out.

I'd look at the Commando. Number of tubes - that's up to you. I have one of their lower end 3 tube bags on my belt and love it. I will pick up a cube or 6 tube bag soon.

Regarding AS products, I wouldn't waste my money on any of them, even the elite series. I've owned 2 of their products and they've both been horrible and unfortunately the service matched the quality of their products as well. Never again.

I had one of those. Decent for guys on a tight budget, but mine was a hook magnet.

Well excuse me , you must have hit the f-ing lotto and now your a millionaire ! I know guys like you that have the latest hat , rod and reel , 500 dollar plug bag , and cant catch a fish if someone put it on your line , you know what that is , a POSER . I've never had a hook get stuck in my bag ever , my bags are customized to the way I like it , maybe you cant do that..

this bag cost about 6 bucks to make

bought the bag alone for twenty , made the insert myself.

I'd stay away from precision pak. Had one fall apart on me in less than a year. I love my mak bag. I have the 4 tube. Heard good thing about commando, ebb point, and gear up but you'll pay a little more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReelSharp View Post

Well excuse me , you must have hit the f-ing lotto and now your a millionaire ! I know guys like you that have the latest hat , rod and reel , 500 dollar plug bag , and cant catch a fish if someone put it on your line , you know what that is , a POSER . I've never had a hook get stuck in my bag ever , my bags are customized to the way I like it , maybe you cant do that..

this bag cost about 6 bucks to make

bought the bag alone for twenty , made the insert myself.

First off i was simply warning the OP that while a PP bag is surely a thrifty purchase, it will also be a POS shredded by hooks by the end of the season. Politely, and in not so many words. Secondly, no 500 dollar bags here asshat. I do have a canyon that i paid 20 for, and a surfcasters bag that i got second hand. I am the last guy in the world to knock somebody over the kind of gear they use. Nice 35 tube bag though! Not that i care, but i wonder who looks more like a "poser"? The guy who made a sensible purchase that has lasted a few seasons and will last a few more, or the guy with the 35 tube wonder? You go on to state "I've never had a hook get stuck in my bag ever , my bags are customized to the way I like it , maybe you cant do that..

You have never had a hook stuck in your bag? That pp looks kinda new to me. Fish it for a while and you will see. And you are right, I can't do that. I have a crate i made to store plugs in the trunk, and the cuts i made in the tubes look nothing like what you have there. What did you cut them with? A butter knife? Poser? You are the guy with all the beachmasters in your avatar.