Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HavFisker

Cork grip issue

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Text

Hi. This is my first post to the forum and I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and ideas. This forum has introduced me to another addiction as I'm sure everyone here is afflicted by, too. I've been lurking in the forum, for months, trying to learn everything I can about the craft. Now, it's time to come out and participate.

The Project - I'm building a Calstar 700XL, SIC guides, Fuji #18 seat, conventional rod to use with braid. I have a 14" cork grip with an OD of 1.125. And the butt of the blank has an OD of .935. It seems that after reaming the grip to size, the 'cushion' between the grip and the blank will not be durable or comfortable as it would be too thin.

Questions - Is there a desired diameter of 'cushion' between the blank and your hand?(my thought was that the OD of the grip should be around 1.375 or 1.5)

If so, does anyone know where I can purchase a pre-formed 14" cork grip with some 'cushion'?

Or do I need to use larger OD cork rings and turn my own?

Thanks.

It does seem that the cork wall might be a little thin after reaming it out. You probably can purchase a preformed cork butt grip with a 1.25 OD and a 1/2 or 3/4 inch ID that can be reamed out to fit the blank.

If you do not have any luck locating one then email me and I will check my supply in the shop.

Al

Al, thanks, I appreciate the offer. I searched further and found that American Tackle has a 1.3125 OD with a .5 ID. I'll try one of their dealers and see if they'll special order for me.

HV