Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vermonter

rainshadow su1266f?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Im looking to wrap another rod(you guys are right, this can be addictive wink.gif ) to jig the Canal and toss heavier plugs. While I'll probably bike a good deal of the time, being able to fish the Canal on foot with a single rod while other rods are locked in the truck is a consideration these days. Has anyone had any experience with the 2 piece SU1266f? Is Batson's 2-5 oz weight rating on the money? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

[ 03-02-2005, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: Vermonter ]

I never built on the Batson SU 1266. I have built plenty on the Allstar 1266. Supposedly they are the same.

If they are the same , the rating of 2 to 5 is right on the money. It makes a nice two piece canal rod too.

My fishing buddy Smokey uses the 1266 at the canal. He's used the same rod for about 6 years. He needs the two piece for transport reasons. Since he can have any rod he wants (he knows a builder very well!! smile.gif ) his choice of the 1266 says he likes it a lot.We throw mostly 3 and 4 OZ and that's where its best but it will do 5 .

BTW , I have no idea what the F means . Allstar doesn't use that designation.

Thank you both, appreciate it smile.gif . I have a little knowledge of the 9 and 10' one piece RS blanks but none of the 2 piece and sometimes the weight ratings can seem a bit optimistic with rods.

I picked up the 1266 Rainshadow at the most excellent rod show. I plan to build for conv. reel. can anyone recomend the size guides and how many for this rod. just to get me started.

Thanks

Thanks Thumb, just looked at the specs on that blank at Batson's site. Same length but its rated 2-6 so 5 oz should be well within its capabilities, while based on Salt's post 5 oz for the 1266 may be stretching things just a bit. 5 is the max I plan on tossing for jigs so its something to mull over.

I have the 1266 All-Star wrapped conventional and I love it! Makes a nice lure rod for Stripers and Alberts, plus does bottom duty for sea-mullets, etc. It has 7 guides plus tip top.

25-20-16-16-12-12-10-10 tip

Greg I would just keep it simple -

25-20-16-12-10-10-10-10tip

All NSG type guides. The alconites would be great on that rod, nice & light. That's how I'm doing mine, but I'll probably use ciMNSG's.

Forget the specs. The 1266 will handle 5 better than the 1267 which really won't handle it at all. Despite the 6 vs 7 power rating , the 1266 actually will ahndle a little more. The 1267 is a moderate action 1266 with slightly less weight capability

Forget the specs. The 1266 will handle 5 better than the 1267 which really won't handle it at all. Despite the 6 vs 7 power rating , the 1266 actually will ahndle a little more. The 1267 is a moderate action 1266 with slightly less weight capability

Thanks Salt thats really good to know since I would have guessed differently from the specs on the 1267, same langth as the 66 yet having a thicker tip and line wgt. Always better to have had the blank in your hands as specs on rods can be seen as "optimistic" from time to time.