Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JPMass

Threading from cork out to blank

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm having alot of trouble going from the cork tape to the blank. I install the tape fine. After done, I sand down the edge of the tape so its a nice transition from tape to blank and still I can not get a smooth wrap from tape to blank. Do you guys use some kind of masking tape before wrapping?? Help me out guys...

I don't do the cork tape to blank like I am trying to do a guide wrap. Nice and neat no gaps etc..

I just chuck the rod in the lathe and go back and forth with black D thread until all is covered and it looks neat. Burnish the thread wraps with something hard and smooth and apply finish. Between the extra thread and the cork tape I tend to get a lot of bubbles in the finish in this area so I will heat the finish with a heat gun to try and release as much air as possible. Plan on two coats of finish also.

I have used 5 minute epoxy in an attempt to create a nice little ramp from the tape to the blank but now I don't even do that.

After you get the tape on...you can apply a small amount of epoxy to make a smooth ramp down from the tape to the blank. After its dry you can easily wind your thread down this "ramp" .Hope this helps? cwm40.gif

Just a suggestion...

I always wrap uphill.

The thread packs nice and tight and it comes out perfect every time. Also, on a butt wrap over cork, use lighter tension or the thread will bite deeply into the cork tape and be impossible to burnish if you need to.

Definitely go with the epoxy ramp. I use a thin band of masking tape and part it off on the lathe so it's perpendicular to and uniform on the blank. Ramp the epoxy while its turning on the drying motor ( I use Devcon 2 ton ) and if you need to smooth the edge adjacent to the blank, you can use a paper towel dampened in denatured alcohol.

go to a golf store buy they double face tape $6.00

a roll .

went you put this tape on[double-face] go to the left.

the cork go's to the right. all the time .

i use it all the time . the glue on the cork tape

dry out ,the double face tape hold it nice and stay's there. so give a try!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

What I've been doing lately is, wrap the cork tape and do nothing with the end. Then I start my butt wrap from the tip end and turn the thread around over the cork tape, meaning spiral the thread from the tip section down to the foregrip, go over the cork, and then go back up the blank towards the tip. After the wrap is done, the thread going up the cork and coming off forms a ramp of thread. When you tie the wrap off, don't cut the thread on the cork, just wrap over it and tie off on the grip.

I use a rasp. file it close down to the blank. Taper it. File the same way the tape is going. Then wrape a piece of masking tape over it. The same way again. ,Just one layer, then the thread will go over onto the blank with no overwraps.

Taper the cork then you should be able to wrap it with thread just about as perfect as any other wrap. sometimes , a little pebble of cork will stick out between the thread. Just knock off the nubs with a blade without hitting the thread , then do a second wrap over it. You'll get best results if you wrap "up hill" on the taper for both wraps. I just finish the wrap ends by pulling it under with a pull thread same as you would on a guide.

As with all parts of building , go slow , straighten out all mistakes immediately by redoing correctly. Never settle for less than the best you can do cause the rod will be around for years and years while even a complete redo only takes minutes to hours.

Old trick which I'll guess Saltheart remembers...

Wrap a strip of sawran wrap up the ramp first. Just a thin layer or two. It covers all the cork pebbles and fills in most of the bumpies giving you a smoother transition.

As for uphill?? That is the only way to go. Avoid downhill like the plague if ya can!