Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kml

Home made rod wrapper.

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

My brother was kind enough to make a rod wrapper for me. I think he felt sorry for me after seeing the pathetic v-blocks that I was using wink.gif .

I thought I'd share it with you guys.

kmlwrap1.jpg

That is a really sweet wrapper. Wish my bro can make something like that! You must have been tickled pink when he gave it to you. BTW, what are you using for a chuck in this wrapper?

The chuck is the part that I still don't consider finished. The shaft off the big pulley is threaded for a 1/4 - 20 screw. So I just drilled a hole in the bottom of a few different sized butt caps and run a screw through the bottom into the shaft. I will get a "real" lathe chuck at some point.

Nice piece of equipment! best of luck with it. If you only wrap on it , the chuck set up you mentioned using butt caps is fine. You will need a chuck if you intend to use it as a lathe for shaping cork or Neoprene , etc.

Very, very nice! smile.gif What's the track and block in the front for? Looks like the thread carriage is behind the rod which is the way I like to see 'em set up.

Bill, the block and track in the front is an extesion piece that can go out the end of the thing for long rods wink.gif The white block will bridge the two sections of track and lock down with 1/4 20 allen hex bolts that go through that white block. In fact that one is comes apart into two 3 foot section. So the whole thing can be set up a 6 foot, 9 foot, or 12 feet .

The the base pieces are made from aluminum t-track all the white pieces are corian.

The "feet" are heavy stainless steel and ride inside the track on the bottom so I can adjust them to fit the work table.

The uprights are some kind of aluminum track as well the are secured using hex bolts and the nuts that ride along inside the track.

2ketchphish, at this time he only makes them for brothers that have pathetic looking rod wrappers.

kml, those white blocks? Are they delrin, or pvc?

Where I work we do a lot of prototype stuff and we use hotmelt/hotglues to fixture stuff that you would believe would stay put when you machine it with a cnc. I used a piece of model plank/urethane foam and cut a simple plug with a 'V' taper on the inside of it. I butted the end of my rod into this and hotglue it in place. It stayed put fine while I left the rod spinning. Over a period of about a week, the hotmelt is holding tight until I removed it. Secret to hotmelt is using denatured alcohol (spray it on on use a paper towel and soak the glue) on the glue and its lift off with a scraper very easily. Yeah I know you guys think this is a joke, but don't knock it until you try it. wink.gif

I used plain V blocks with felt to spin the rod for the thread and a geared down stepper motor some one gave me and powered it off a transformer to spin the rod while the flex coat dried.

My rod came out OK (10' St Croix Doerr conventional rod w/ a handle like the Lamiglas Tri-flex surf series). I needed to heat up the flex coat more and apply more on the threads, but the rod is fishable and I am not that picky/anal that it has to be perfect. wink.gif If any one cares to see my spinner/wrapper, or my completed I'll post a pic of it.

WOW icon14.gif ! I guess this means you just turned pro wink.giftongue.gif ?

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have been thinking of building a wrapper, but my ideas pale in comparison redface.gif . Good food for thought!