Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
korkerstud

Chunkin' surf stick?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi Al and all,

I love my plugging gear as much as the next guy, but have been considering building an all purpose conventional bunker chunkin' surf stick. It will be matched to a Newell 229 with 20-40 lb mono, to be used on both the North and South shores of Long Island. Weight used will rarely exceed 6 ounces of lead (except in storms, etc) plus the chunk. For financial reasons I am pretty set on a fiberglass, one piece blank.

Any opinions of the Lami SB 121 3M vs SB 121 5M for this application would be appreciated. I'm thinking 10' since distance is not a priority. Thanks!

Alex

Korkerstud:

I have the Lami 121 3m&the 5m both in conventional set ups and have had no problems with either. The 5m is very stiff and holds up well for chunking whether held or on a spike, the 3m works well chunking but can also toss heavier plugs. I don't think you can go to far wrong with either.

My $.02

Thanks everybody! Great feedback. Seems unanimous that for all purpose conventional bait tossing the SB 121 3m gets the nod.

This will be a fun project for me. I have built numerous 9-11 foot spinners to date but no big conventional sticks and am looking forward to it.

Alex

Korker,

Here are the general specs for the 1213M as a conventional:

Butt to base of reelseat 25-26 inches

#22 Fuji seat.

Fuji HNSG (SIC) or BHNLG (Hardaloy) with a UST tip. 20,16,16,16,12,12,12,12 plus tip.

#20 stripper 28 inches from center of reelseat.

#12 guide 5 inches from tip.

Good luck with it.

Al

Al,

You beat me to it. I guess you knew those guide and spacing questions would follow. Thanks!

I saw both blanks at terminal tackle today and really like the SB121 3m. They also had a Lami Bronco XSB121 3M. John explained that this blank is built on the old Lamiglas mandrel. I saw very little difference in taper, action/power, or weight of the two blanks, except that the Bronco cost about $10 more. Anyone have opinions or info on the Bronco blank?

Alex