Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
POW16

Waders Stockingfoot vs. Bootfoot

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Do I need to focus on saltwater/surfcasting specific waders or can I look at fly fishing waders. I know many can be used for both. Just wondering if saltwater specific would last longer. 

Thanks again for all of the help!

Do I need to focus on saltwater/surfcasting specific waders or can I look at fly fishing waders. I know many can be used for both. Just wondering if saltwater specific would last longer. 

Thanks again for all of the help!

Waders are waders. To my knowledge there aren't saltwater versions or fly fishing specific waders.

Those should be real nice. Look very similar to my Cloudveil waders. Cloudveil and Patagonia make some of the best and technically advanced waterproof/lightweight clothing you can find. Their ski gear is state of the art and built to last. :th:

What made you change your mind from boot foots to stocking foots? Patagonia makes good product, you'll be happy except for lacing up your shoes and getting sand stuck in them. Don't say you weren't warned. :D

What made you change your mind from boot foots to stocking foots? Patagonia makes good product, you'll be happy except for lacing up your shoes and getting sand stuck in them. Don't say you weren't warned. :D

+1

The one time it was really bad (had to keep emptying the boots out) the sand would just come in the top of the boot. I have the korkers which do not have the holes in the sides typically there is no sand in my boots when I'm done. But that is a good idea for those with the mesh sides.

I thoroughly wrap the tops of my boots and sand never gets in , these wrap around the entrance point of your boots multiple times because they stretch and connect with strong velcro. Sand always try to get in as you can see but come up short.

Of course if you have boots with mesh your out of luck because sand will definitely get in unless you block the pores with liquid rubber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlander1 View Post

What made you change your mind from boot foots to stocking foots? Patagonia makes good product, you'll be happy except for lacing up your shoes and getting sand stuck in them. Don't say you weren't warned. biggrin.gifg

Great question as I have certainly flipped flopped on this decision. As I thought more and more, I realized that I'd like to have the option to use these waders fishing in the rivers and streams of the east coast and mountain west. I figured that it would make sense to have the flexibility to change what type of tread I have. 

Also, I love Patagonia and have been really happy with their skiing outerwear. Finally, they retail for $300 and I got them for $150. 

Hopefully, the sand will not be too much of an issue!

Do Patagonia come with a replacement warranty? I only ask because I have found me and waders are mortal enemies! At some point my waders will leak. Went with Bean finally only because they replace. I have to admit this last pair lasted since December 2011. Thye just started a small leak in the crotch from the sandy rod rubbing (wait did I just say that out loud?) and while headed onto the beach the other day I impaled my right knee with a treble. Used my pliers to pull it out. Funny thing about hook barbs=> they're just like lead bullets, they make a bigger hole on the way out.

Do Patagonia come with a replacement warranty? I only ask because I have found me and waders are mortal enemies! At some point my waders will leak. Went with Bean finally only because they replace. I have to admit this last pair lasted since December 2011. Thye just started a small leak in the crotch from the sandy rod rubbing (wait did I just say that out loud?) and while headed onto the beach the other day I impaled my right knee with a treble. Used my pliers to pull it out. Funny thing about hook barbs=> they're just like lead bullets, they make a bigger hole on the way out.

I have to say I have no first hand knowledge of Bean's waders, but in general I'll say this: You won't ever see anyone hiking Everest or K2 in LL Bean gear, but you will see Patagonia, Marmot, etc. Most of Patagonia's gear is bombproof with top notch quality control. Same goes for Cloudveil. I'll knock on wood to be safe, but I can't see my Cloudveil waders ever leaking. I've never had any of the top outdoor ski or climbing gear that I've had for years leak on me or split a seam and that includes hundreds of brushes against tree branches skiing in glades. Fall on a sharp jetty rock? Maybe that would do it, but for wading sandy beaches I wouldn't worry about it. In addition, the sand in the shoes is a total non-factor for me. I My waders have pretty snug gaiters that cover the boot tops and clip right onto the laces so they don't ride up. I still get some sand in there in very rough surf, but it's no big deal. I took a 3 mile hike yesterday at Smith Point in them and never even felt like I had waders on. I frikikin' love them.

I have to say I have no first hand knowledge of Bean's waders

I have yet to see or hear of a pair of waders that haven't failed after prolonged or repeated use in the salt. Nice thing about ll bean is their return policy. I'm not gonna try and claim that they have the best waders but when they fail you send them back and no questions asked you get new ones. Can't beat that. Saltwater is a killer but with ll beans return policy I don't worry about that particular item of equipment

The most important aspect of buying waders and long trouble free life is the fit . If you don't fit them right your in trouble , you should be able to bend down without the waders being overly tight and the crotch area should also have plenty of room.

When you have a bad fit you have extreme stress on seams and other areas so of course there going to leak after a while.

I use both. I find boot footed wader are better on sand beach's vs. stocking footed for one reason, no sand in the bottom of your boots. Stocking footed tend to fill your wading boots with sand and small gravel unless your SF waders have gravel guards/cuffs...Sand still finds its way into the bottom of my wading boots from the reseeding waves/tide surges, while standing in the wash... This adds additional weight and discomfort while walking the beach....I use SF waders in the back bays and on jetty's with korker studs as a personal preference... IMHO

The one big advantage to me of stocking foot waders is you can mix and match on the crotch length and boot size. I've got big feet but short legs. Tough to find a pair of boot foot waders that fit. That said, I do use boot foots in the sand. I've found the "stout" sizes work better for me, even though I'm not particularly rotund (don't think my wife would agree).