Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Something along the lines of a Contest/Competition

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I posted this on another site, so the CEltic Quest was the boat I chose (North Shore of Long Island) It would be more appropriate to make a plugging rod and meet up at a beach in September/October here on SOL. Please take the time to rad this and offer an opinion.

DISCLAIMER: I don't want something where we grade a rod, where someone wins, someone loses. I don't know what to call it, so if anyone can think of a better title for my idea, let me know. Also let me know if there is interest.

This is aimed more at hobby builders, but I think the "Pro's" could get involved and make this a pretty cool "non-contest, contest thingy"

My idea is this: pick a type of blank, and a deadline, and everyone builds themselves a rod. Along th eway, everyone can see what eeveryone else is using for components, how they came up with grip lengths, guide spacing, the thought process behind certain things, etc, etc. What colors are used, and what we do for the butt wrap, setting up, laying out, wrapping, what epoxy we use, how we apply it, how many coats, etc, etc.

Some of us can order together, and split shipping costs down to nothing. Something along these lines, nothing set in stone, let me hear what everyone thinks.

My suggestion would be to give everyone a few months to complete this rod, to be fair to everyone who wants to be part of this, and doesn't have the time to wrap a rod in a short period of time. So a Blackfish or Tuna rod, since the season for those is in the Fall, would be a great idea.

I'm leaning towards a Blackfish rod, everyone Tog's, and they can be made fairly "cheaply" as far as components go.

I would like to add one more "incentive" to this idea - we can all bring these rods and fish them on a November Celtic Quest XXXXXXX Rodbuilders Blackfish trip. The only pre-requisite is everyone bring the rod they built to the trip. No rod, no fish.

Its a good idea. Like a rod building club thing?

I have to admit I likley wouldn't do it but for guys in the local Jersey / NY area , it sounds like fun. If you don't want it as a contest , just a group activity , just show them around at the end , no judging.

I haven't been able to build one for me in over two years. I started a 1265 Allstar for myself in december and its still not done. Obviously made a bunch for others since then but mine never seems to get any time. I do plan on building myself a Ziplexx canal jigging rod though. That will be my main weapon this season so I need to make time for that , even if its just a black on black functional rod.

Also , not everyone does tog. If it doesn't have stripes , I almost never fish for it? I do sometimes go on a cod party boat but only once every few years and actually cod have that one stripe so.....

Salt - Yes, like a Club. An On-line club type of thingy, where no money is involved, no meetings (unless people want them), something simple, aimed at beginners, hobbyists, and professional builders. Something we can all gain something from, whether it be learning, or sharing info. I am fairly certain, that there are enough guys from Log Island which will participate in teh Blackfish rod build. I'm hoping to have some intereste here for a surf rod, and hopefully, in teh future, merge teh 2 differnt groups of people (from different sites) into one "club".

You haven't built yourself a rod in 2 years - HERE IS YOUR CHANCE. You'll "have" 4-6 months to complete one rod which will be for yourself. One night you wrap the cork tape. a month later wrap the guides. Another month do the wrap, epoxy, and you're done.

I definatley DO NOT want a contest type of atmosphere, that will turn people off no doubt. I want to have something where a bunch of guys help each other out, sharing info, answerring queestions, and at teh end of the Rainbow is the Pot of Gold: some sort of fishing trip with teh rods everyone built. If you cannot make the fishing trip, at least you will have a rod.

This cam up elsewhere: take a plugging stick. There's been a TON of info posted recently on what blanks for 1-3oz, what guides, what handle length, etc. Some guys know a lot about Lamis, others know Rainshadow, other know All Star, etc, etc. GEt all the info in one place, this way everyone participating can determine, from one post, what is right for them. And so on with teh guides, with how different people decide handle length, etc, etc.

It all sounds great Billy. A word to the wise.....If you do plan to have it inter site , you better get Tim's opinion on that part before using this board for it. Just for SOL , no problemo

Salt - no links, no mention of other boards. There are certain people who visit this site, becasue they surf fish. I ty to cater to them with this post. Elsewhere, thre are a lot of guys who boat fish, I try to cater to them as well. I don't think the surf rod builders should "suffer" becasue I'm trying to put together something that will benefit everyone, and nobody will make a cent off of it (something I will make sure of, no doubt)

I just want to put something together locally that appeals to the most builders, nothing more, nothing less. Following the rules, as wellas being up front an dhonest about things, as much as I can.

Billy:

How about instead of a noncontest contest, why not make it a charity auction? Invite potential buyers to this gathering. Everybuilder chooses a charity. The minimum bid starts at the cost for parts only(with receipts) and no labor because it's a labor of love. The proceeds minus cost of parts will go to the charity chosen by the builder. The rod that fetches the most money net of cost for parts is not the winner but rather the most popular. The builder has the option to donate the entire proceeds or receive the cost for parts back.

There are many charities that need help. Those charities can include ones who helpthe recreational anglers too. The new regs are really bad. JMHO. Thanks for reading.

Rockin

Billy,if you 're supplying the blanks I'll put on my best thread inlays and butt wrap.LOL>

Seriously, sounds cool and a great way to get together and share some ideas first hand!But my experience in rod building is limited to guide size and placement, along with extensive test casting, of surf rods only. How about opening it up to a couple types of rods, tog rod, surf rod,fluke rods, on relatively inexpensive blanks so everybody could share something they have first hand experience with. I would be happy to build something like a 1208 Rainshadow and share what I've learned about them, wouldn't mind donating it to be auctioned for a worthy cause, either. Haven't gone blackfishing since I sold the boat 12yrs ago but be happy to fish along side ya with one of your slick tog rods!

biggrin.gif

I'm trying to do one rod type at a time. If we do too much, there won't be enough focus.

I'm not supplying blanks, and I'm not limiting to one specific blank. The idea is for each person to figure out what they want - those with more experiance can give as much info as they can regarding a specific type of blank, how it compares to others, price, etc. Then each indivdual decides what is right for them. When all said and done and we meet up, there will be (hopefully) 20 guys with 20 different rods. Now you can go around and look at how each person built their own rod, test cast it, etc.

UPDATED LIST

Billy 40 (IN) for both

Rodwinder (IN)

NYCMAN (IN)for both

LPV77 (IN - he has no choice)

RacerX (IN)

Capt. Neil (I assume IN)

Gadwall8 - IN

Mike McGivney (.org) - IN

Raekwon - IN

Nitewrm - IN

CaynonDiver - IN

Fencer04 - IN

Rick Koontz (.org) - IN - surf rod

Surfrat59 - IN surf rod

Makoman16 (didn't say Y or N)

Rockin (didn't say Y or N)

What GUSA am I getting for a tog blank?

I'm not recommending any until I fish with them myself and am 100% sure they will not break when I wing, hi stick, etc, etc - as well as swing up to 7# fish. Until I'm sure they can take this type of abuse, I will not recommend any for Toggin on a public forum, cause I'm not getting blamed for someone who mis-uses, etc teh rod.

I will contact you via e-mail and give you my opinion though, I have 3 I'm planning to try out myself. You are already making the one I think I'm gonna like most, but yours is 8'6 and has 11 guides on it.