Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagDarter

HOBIE HULL REPAIR QUESTION

30 posts in this topic

This question may be better asked to a hobie technician but I wanted to gauge your thoughts on how to fix a dented hull?

My hull is dented from the front from sitting on my trailer from the front bunks. I've heard of people using a heat gun or boiling water to re mold the hull into its original form. Has anyone had any experience with this?

The boat is still operable just a small dent in each side of the bunk

Thanks,

Mag

my yak is sitting on a cart that has bunks. Essentially two 2x4's with carpet on them. something i should be concerned about?

I heard of using a heat gun but then also using air pressure to pop out the dent. Do not think you can do that with a pro angler. 

my yak is sitting on a cart that has bunks. Essentially two 2x4's with carpet on them. something i should be concerned about?

I heard of using a heat gun but then also using air pressure to pop out the dent. Do not think you can do that with a pro angler. 

I'd rather use wide straps and hang it. The straps will conform to the shape of the yak and distribute the load across the width of the yak, not just on 1 or 2 points.

Search Hobie's web site for info on fixing dents. You can do it w/hot water or leaving it upside down in the sun. I've used a low setting on heat gun while pumping low pressure air into hull. Be careful if using heat gun, very easy to cause damage.

To avoid the dents in first place, don't store on cart or leave the yak strapped down too tight on roof on a hot sunny day for an extended time. Best way to store yak is upside down on saw horses out of sun.

Small dents should not affect performance, they're more cosmetic.

My Ocean Kayak came with a shipping dent in side right by rod holder, I used a hair dryer and used a wood spoon through rodholder hole to push it out, went very well, and is permanent. Go slow with the hair dryer , you can always heat more, it was easy, just pushed with the spoon, until it started to move then wiped with cold water when done, to set it faster.......Jack

Guys, thanks for your input so far.  I will be calling Hobie to talk to them about this further.  They aren't quite small dents but they aren't large by any means.  I will try and take a picture and post it so you can see.  

I hope all goes well, right now the hair drier on a low setting with a wooden spoon seems like a good option.  

Anyone else have direct experience with this? 

Mag

Last year when I got my first yak I made the mistake of leaving it on the cart while it was stored and I got some dents in it. All I did was leave it alone and the dents came out by themselves. After a few trips you couldn't even tell that it ever had any dents.

At the shop I use a leather glove to massage the inside while someone else heats up the PERIMETER of the dent with a heat gun.

......... OH Barrell ......... Oh you nasty boy !!!!!! (smiley face)

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrell View Post

At the shop I use a leather glove to massage the inside while someone else heats up the PERIMETER of the dent with a heat gun.

Barrell, is the heat gun being applied to the outside of the hull I assume?  I figured it would be more benificial to apply the heat to the inside of the hull but maybe i'm wrong... I'm going to try and post pictures this week.

Barrell is dead right. I've used the same method with someone warming the surrounding plastic with a hair dryer.

It is best to prevent the problem in the first place. One of the very best things to use for a rack are lengths of fire hose. Sometimes

a little fire hose can be obtained from a firehouse. Hoses are damaged from time to time. I made a rack padded with firehose

with a length of foam pipe insulation inside. A pool noodle inside the hose would be great too. A long yak should be supported in more than 2 spots.