HillTop

DIY Stripping Basket - final product

Rate this topic

252 posts in this topic

A few months back there was a thread devoted to stripping baskets with many opinions showing some interesting designs.    At the time I posted an idea I had and seeing that today was a rather rainy day I decided to give it a shot and build one.  It took me a little over an hour.

The following photos show the process and the final results.

HillTop

Dremel Tool was handy but a drill and a 3/8" round rasp (course file)  will do the trick.

Materials: 

18 Quart Dishpan, Stop & Shop:        $ 7.31

Caulking Cones:  (6X) total:             $12.60

1" Electrical Plastic Conduit Clamp:    $  1.23

#10-24 Stainless Steel Screw/Nut:    $  3.96

LL Bean Wading Belt:                          Free

---------------------------------------------------------

Total:   $25.00

Steps:

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Can't wait to give it a go on the water!

<br />

Very nice job! was wondering where you found your caulking cones. I have built a few different baskets and have used heavier weed wacker line yours looks like a very nice idea

I saw a nice looking one where the bottom was all mesh, seemed like a great idea for those days when the wash is constantly getting into the basket and weighing it down. I drilled small holes into mine but it never drains fast enough. The only downside is you can't really put the cones in to keep the line organized, though I reckon there are some possibilities to get creative and incorporate them both somehow. Maybe a good winter project.

Nice basket, my first attempt at making one was an utter failure mainly because I was lazy. I quickly ponied up for a store bought one.

Easily the best looking & functional home made stripping basket I've ever seen. Must admit that I've never seen a chalking cone. What are they normally used for? Where do you find them? At a home depot?

Great post … for the one indispensable fly fishing item!!

Maybe we talk about caulk cone ...is used at the end of caulking gun as a nozzle...You cut the end of caulk cone and there come out the glue or the silicone..

Yes, thanks …. mystery solved!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmoeller1 View Post

Very nice job! was wondering where you found your caulking cones. I have built a few different baskets and have used heavier weed wacker line yours looks like a very nice idea

PMoeller1,

If you do a web search for the following it will help:

"Newborn Plastic Cone, For 2" Diameter Newborn Sausage Gun Model 620AL, Yellow "

I found a site where I could buy them individually.   Some places sell them in a set of five but I needed six.

HillTop

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidelock View Post

What kind of adhesive did you use for the chalking cones ? Some plastics are virtually impossible and not suitable to use any adhesives on.

Sidelock,

Actually by the time I finished last night and took the photos I hadn't actually glued them in place.   I designed it to have a press fit and they're in there quite tight but I do have to use adhesive (RTV Silicone) or some other means, (stainless Pop-Rivet, smooth head on the inside), to insure they won't fall out.   I'll update the post later once I do this.

HT