Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
santacruzer

Harnell 852

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have an old(not as old as me) Harnell 852 spinning rod. I know that a lot of surfcasters talk about using fiberglass and I was wondering where an 8 foot glass rod might fit into the surfcasting picture. If anyone has had any experience with this particular rod or any glass rods, especially of this vintage, it would nice to get a little background. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks you guys. Paul

Paul, I'm only familiar with Harnell's blank numbering and 852 does not appear in either of the old catalogs I have stashed though they may have - and probably did - use a separate numbering sequence for finished rods.

Far as eight footers go, I've certainly gotten plenty mileage out of them for beach and jetty plugging on the Delaware and Jersey shores. Still do for that matter, and though it's usually graphite for me these days, I break out an old Lami eight foot glass conventional every once in a while smile.gif

Bill what dose 852 stand for . Eight and half feet. number two tip.(medium)

On the blanks at least, Harnell's numbering conventions did not follow any logical progression that I can decipher. The 552 was the huskiest ten foot surf blank they produced and the 523 and 575 were, respectively, 60 and 80 lb. class trolling blanks. There's no way to make any logical conclusions based soley on the blank model numbers. Finished rods my have been a different story but I have no knowledge at all of how they numbered them.