Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John E

It's Still Sticky !!!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

HELP !!!

I put the final coat of flex-coat on one of my rods Friday night and it's still sticky. frown.gif Just a hair but definaltey not cured fully. I left the rod on the porch all day yesterday and it helped a little. It was late and I think there may have been a problem with my 1 to 1 mix being off slightly. The info that came with the finish says to just mix up a new batch (being very careful with the 1 to 1 ratio) and recoat. Will this fix the problem or should I wait a few more days to see if it sets up? confused.gif

------------------

John E

John:

That works fine. Cut out any bumps in the finish while your at it then re-coat using an exact 1:1 Mix(Use the syringes!).

Allow that final coat to dry in a low humidity environment.

Prefessa,

Thanks for the info. I'll recoat the rod tonight and see what happens. I used the measurements on the side of the mixing cups and not the syringes. Guess I'll be using the syringes tonight. I'm just glad this is one of the old rods that's being rebuilt and not my new Lami.

John,

I always use the syringes. Also, mix it thoroughly, at least three minutes. Then pour it out onto a sheet of aluminum foil and allow it to spread out. You will get longer working time and alot of the bubbles will dissipate.

Al

Al,

I'll be using them from now on too. Haven't been using the aluminum foil trick. I found that if I mix it slowly it induces just a fraction of the bubbles doing it quickly will do. I'll try the aluminum foil tonight. I was having good luck up until now using the syringes. It was late, I was feeling a little lazy and those measurements on the mixing cup just seemed too tempting not to try. Guess I learned my lesson. It's amazing how sensitive the finish is to the 1:1 ratio.

Prefess and Al,

I recoated the rod last night. When I got up this morning the finish was 99.99% cured after about 6.5 hours (Alot less tacky than previous attempt after 3 days). It takes a little longer for the finish to cure in the area of the house I'm using for rod construction since it's not heated as well as the rest. Looks like a success.

Al,

I tried the aluminum foil trick you mentioned and it worked great. The finish flowing over the foil and thinning out really takes the bubbles out.

Thanks guys, you saved the day!

John E