Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raymond Jones

van staal 150 rod length ??

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Its perfect for a 9 foot.

I have mine on a loomis imx 9ft medium slow/medium action for the beach.

I also use it on a 9ft mojo medium heavy fast action when im at the inlet.

When im on a boat or paddleboard I put it on a loomis problue 8ft.

Ive even put this reel on a 10ft st croix premiere and had no problems.

You can put that reel on inshore rods too. Its a great reel and its versatile, ive never felt underpowered with it.

get it and enjoy!

The answer to this is really going to depend on three factors:

1) The properties of the specific 9' rod in question

2) What the setup is going to be used for (what kind of environment, what size range of fish, etc.)

3) The individual preferences for weight/balance of the caster

I say this because some guys are going to say VS 150, while others will say VS 200.

It really depends on the properties of the rod, what it's going to be used for, and your preference.

I would suggest taking the rod into the shop you intend to get the reel from and get a feel for it in person. It's really the best way to determine the best fit for you and your 9 footer.

For what it's worth, my 9' rod is a GSB 1081m and I found the 200 to be perfect, while the 150 is better suited for my 8' rod.

Other's experiences and opinions are bound to vary, so I reiterate, consider both reels live and in person to best determine for yourself.

I have never listened to what other people say on reel size/rod size ratio. If I did I would have a 200 VS on my 11ft Century stealth and I wouldn't be happy. A 150 is perfect for a 9 ft rod. I use my century 9.6 sling shot with my 150 and love it. This last year I switched from using a 10 ft legend with a 150 (balanced fine, casted a mile) to a 11 ft century stealth which is a super light rod with a ton of backbone. I was thinking I was going to want a bigger reel on that rod and boy was I wrong. i want something as light and comfortable as I can get as I throw plugs for hours. I put the 150 on there on the 11 ft and it even balanced where I hold my top hand while casting. Long story short I think the 150 will be perfect for you after some personal experiences I have had with my 150.

I agree with brads55, I have had my Vs150 on 8-10' rods. I settled on ten footers (XRA1203 1; GSB120 1L; CTS Vaportrail 1108-1 cut to ten feet). All built to be as light as possible and balance with the Vs150.

All those combo's have been used with12-17lb mono and 15-30lb braid with great results and absolutely no lost fish.

Establish a budget, make sure you know what length rod you are most comfortable casting and fishing with all day long, then take the reel and go put it on some rods.

If you get the chance to attend a surf side demo, go participate in that with your reel loaded with line. Bring you plug bag and a set of pliers and a lot of coffee.