Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alby

Varnish Removal

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Al-

Any suggestions for taking 50-year old varnish off of a classic fiberglass surf rod? The wrtaps and guides are in good shape and I want to retain them if I can. However, everything is covered with a thick yellowing coat (or coats) of what I think is varnish. Paint remover is out as it would tear up the wraps. The stuff seems impervious to alcohol and acetone. Any ideas?

Thanks.

alby

If you are thinking about stripping off the old finish then you might as well strip off the guides as well. Just trying to refinish the blank surface may prove to be a challenge.

If that is the way you want to go, then I would first tape off the guide wraps with masking tape. Then I would gently scrape the surface of the blank with a single edge razor blade. First try gently warming the surface of the blank with a hairdryer or heat gun to soften the finish. After scraping I would gently sand the surface of the blank with fine wet paper until smooth.

AL- Thanks. Think I will just go ahead and refinish the whole thing then. I can use the same guides. It will be easier to clean them once they are off the rod also.

Thanks again.

alby

Once the blank is sanded smooth apply two thin coats of urethane finish allowing 2-3 days between coats to cure and then rubdown each coat with an ultrafine finashing pad.