Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

foam grip question...

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Ive never used foam grips before. Im building a boat rod.. 7 ft.. I have an EVA grip that does want to go that last two feet to the butt... what do I do???

put my epoxy on and slide it down??? will it slide with the epoxy? should I start light with the epoxy, then gradually add more as it goes???

now I know why I like to only do surf rods with cork tape!!

tx,

BC (foam grip newbie)

BC,

Juice that grip with epoxy, it's a lubricant as well as an adhesive icon14.gif

You might want to warm the grip in the oven to soften it.

Set to 250 deg and let it warm up before you put the grip in there. I put tin foil on the rack so I dont get indents in the grip. Now grease up the blank ahead of where the grip starts to touch down. Put a heavy bead of epoxy long enough to grease the length of the grip. Slide the grip over the epoxy and roll it around while turning the blank as well.

You should be all set to push the grip from the front end. You might want to use a board with a hole just a little bigger than the blanks diameter where the front of the grip ends up. Place the butt of the rod on something you don't mind getting epoxy on. I use an old scrap of plywood.

That should do it!

Have fun,

CD

You could also soften the grips in a microwave.A little trick from my days as a bike mechanic:Using the blower nozzle on an air compressor,shoot air underneath the grip as you push it into place.The grip will ride on a cushion of air and slide fairly easily.You can stop about a grip's length from the butt,apply your epoxy and take it the rest of the way from there.A little cleaner but no more efficient than the aforementioned method.

fellas,

I want to thank everyone for their input. I just completed the lower butt section with the eva grip and it was a piece of cake. I am installing the reel seat right now and I will do the upper eva grip after that.

now comes the easy part...

thanks again..

BC