Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArtieFluke429

Casting vs. Spinning BLANKS

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

hey,

when going to buy blanks, alot of them will be under the category of "CAST/SPIN" blanks while other will specifcy which one.

my question to you is can you effectively build a spinning rod a so called "casting blank"? are there any drawbacks, what makes them different to be labeled this way.

im specifcally talking about the lamiglas line of blanks, but in general whats the differencE?

Ditto that, I've found the various designations affixed to blank models to be pretty irrelevant. I've used "popping" blanks for plugging, "trolling" blanks for chunking, "salmon/steelhead" blanks for stripers... Maybee someone knows where they come up with that stuff, but as far as I'm concerned, between the length, weight, action, line weight, lure weight, and material, I know just about all I need to about a blank - why some guy thinks it would be better suited for musky than bluefish, or largemouth bass instead of weakfish, is beyond me.

I was looking at some St Croix freshwater blanks a while back and they said basically the same thing. "wrap anyway you like" they did say that for this particular line however taht the casting blanks may if anything have a little more strength in the butt.

All blanks are made the same way. And they have no idea how you are going to use them, spin, cast, fly, etc.

The manufacturers often use the same blank and even list it under several different model numbers, for instance, for many years the Loomis SB and MB blanks were identical - the exact same blanks sold under two different designations.

The manufacturers are only trying to be helpful by placing them in catagories such as "spinning" or "casting" by trying to make the selection process easier. It's more like a suggestion than anything else.