Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sandbar

Rod finish flaking off

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What can be done or how can it be done, to remove a rod finish off of a new rod. Rod is a custom build (ziplex)1 year old, they coated the rod with a rod finish of some sort, it looks as if it has a peeling flaking sunburn. If rod finish is to be used, what is the proper way of putting it on so this does not happen? The owner of the rod would like to just have it removed and get rid of the flaking unless if he is looking at a bad finish without doing something to the rod after the rod has been stripped of the flaking rod finish. Flaking cover the complete rod. Sending it back to the builder is not an option. Guidance would be much appreciated, thank you

I have a Powertex bass and the blank is shrinwrapped in some sort of superthin skin. You can't tell the skin is there unless you use Acetone (oops smile.gif ). Can you feel the grafite weave underneath the peeling? When I install the eva grip, I coat the inside with some acetone, and when I push it down, the whole skin got pushed back. Contact the factory for some advices.

After looking at the finish under a 40 power eye loupe, the epoxy for the eyes is over the flaking finish, so I would say that you are correct about the shrink wrap. There is a charcoal color to the finish that is coming off. I can peel it off with a thumb nail. I did try some acetone on the tip, seemed to make rod sticky. Will it hurt the graphite in the rod to use acetone heavily?

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

Yes solvents can be bad. I cleaned off an old rod with varnish remover, cleaned the rod up great, but it left small pin holes in the blank crying.gif

Lucky it was an old rod someone had thrown away.

CD, Just clarifying, you are saying to go ahead and peel off what comes off, then you talked about wetsanding, you can feel the graphite layers on this rod, should I use a fine scotch brite pad or what to take off the remainder finish between the eyes, then coat the rod with what? A preference product would be appreciated. I'm not going to use anymore solvents.

Thank you all for your help.

The "graphit layers" you feel is actually ridges of epoxy that oozed up between the strip of heat shrink tape (the stuff peeling off the blank). Blanks are made by wrapping a long skinny "arrow" of material called a flag, around a tapered steel mandrel. The shape of the mandrel is representative of the inside of the blank. he flag is impregnated with eopxy and rolled onto the mandrel under fairly heavy pressure.

Heat shrink tape is then wrapped around the blank and it is cured in a special oven. A smoothe rod has the tape sanded off and the blank is usually coated with a special epoxy. The rough rods like the one you have, are not sanded and coated. Unless looks are paramount, I'd just fish the rod until it's time to re-wrap it. At this point, you can wetsand the rod on a lathe (using a hard rubber backing block) and coat it with Permagloss.

Then you will be ready to wrap it. It's a load of work, but for a blank that $$ it's worth the trouble if you want the look of perfection.

You really don't want to try to coat a blank between the guides. It won't come out really well and will add to much weight to the blank. You will take some of the liveliness out of the rod.