cracking around the guide feet

Rate this topic

BrianV

Al, I took a recently completed rod out on a cod trip and when cleaning my gear when I got home, noticed that I've got cracks in the epoxy at all the guide feet. Here's the setup, Lami bmb1083 blank cut back to a 12 tip additional blank removed from the butt for an overall lenght of 7'6", Fuji HNSG guides, underwrapped w/gudebrod matallic silver size a, double overwrapped w/gudebrod regular nylon thread size a. the epoxy I used was flex coat regular high build (4 coats total) The rod sat for at least 3 weeks before I used it. Any ideas?

Brian,

Cracking at the guide feet is a common problem that can result from a number of issues. The process can usually be slowed down to a great degree and in most instances eliminated.

The most frequent cause of crackig is that the blank flexes more than the guidefoot. In your case, this may be the reason. The BMB1083 is a glass blank that is really not meant for codfishing. My guess is that the blank flexed beyond the guidefoot resulting in the cracking.

That being said, what are your options. Eventually the cracking will increase in depth resulting moisture being able to seep into the threadwraps causing discoloration and eventually the wraps deteriorating.

My recommendation would be to fish with it through the season and check it again over the winter. If the cracks have not gone all the way through the wraps, then do the following:

- Masking tape off each guide wrap.

- Gently sand each foot with a fine

scuffing/finishing pad.

- Clean the areas throughly with alcohol

and a lintless towel.

- Apply a thin coat of finish to the wraps.

If the cracks are totally through the finish then you will have too strip off the guides, re-ground and polish the guide feet and rewrap the rod.

Al