Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sageguy

Underwraps????

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I don't underwrap anything except heavy boat rods. On a fly rod that heavy I wouldn't worry about a bit of extra weight, since an eighteen weight ain't exactly a casting tool anyway. Properly shape and polish your guide feet and there's not much need for underwraps.

i like to underwrap all my poles

i underwrap and give it a epoxy light coat.

i use A thread to wrap .

it's a extra step put it look nice and it's stop

the guide from cutting the blank.

eddie

fast eddie,

An honest question? Did you ever see a rod break at the guide foot? I never have. I ask that of everyone in the "underwrap" debate and only had one person say yes(he saw it twice). Both were factory rods. The cause was probably a poorly shape, or not shaped at all, guide foot. A properly shaped foot won't cut a blank.

To each his own, but I'm a big fan of no underwraps. In my opinion (formed from advice of rod buildings greats), an underwrap simple adds undue weight, as well as time and effort. Some guys do it as insurance, some for extra thread color opportunities. According to some of modern rodbuilding's great minds, like Tom Kirkman, underwraps are unnecessary in all but the heaviest of rods(offshore rods and maybe some heavy surf sticks).THIS ASSUMES A WELL SHAPED AND POLISHED GUIDE FOOT.

TT, why would you underwrap the guide that takes the least amount of stress? Just something to think about.

I've been doing a lot of asking about flyrods since January. I spent almost all the spare time I had at the Rodcrafters seminar talking to flyrod builders. Based on the opions I've gotten and my own experience with other rods , I've decided to underwrap my flyrod guides. I think thread even thinner than the gudebrod A size should be used. I've gotten some nice thin Madeira Thread to use as underwraps.

As a seperate piece of info , most of the people I talked to recommend single foot SiC guides for flyrods now , not snake guides. They also recommend the extra stripper guide about 4 inches above the first.

OZNAVAD;; IAGREE WITH YOU IF THE GUIDE FOOT IS NOT SHAPE RIGHT IT CAN CAUSE THE ROD TO BREAK .IT IS A LONG!!!!! SHOT TO HAPPEN.

WENT I WRAP MY GUIDE'S I USE A OR B THREAD TO WRAP THEM.I DONT' WORRY ABOUT THE EXTRA WEIGHT OF THE UNDERWRAP ON A POLE.

IT ADD'S STYLE TO THE POLE.I WORK ON SALTLWATER FISHING POLE'S .EVERBODY HAS THERE OWN TASTE.

Gotcha Eddie. Everyone builds rods with a different goal in mind.

Just to clarify my comment on not underwrapping to avoid excess weight, I'm not talking about absolute weight added to the rod. I'm talking about the effect of any extra weight, at the end of a lever, on a proportionate basis. Picture see-saw. 10 pounds placed near the fulcrum might slowly, if at all move the balance. But put the same weight as far as possible from the fulcrum and its effect is significantly different, the balance falls quickly. I'm very careful of what I put on a blank, especially closest to the tip. ANY weight takes from the performance of the blank. The heavier the rod, the less effect an underwrap will have.

That's all, hope it's helpful. Even if you like to underwrap, perhaps you'll slit them on double foots, and keep you wraps(under and over as short as possible.

Good Point OZ

Just like finish. I feel a thin coat is better than a thick coat of finish. As long as the thread is protected and no gaps by guide foot tunnels why put on a heavy coat?

So Oz, should we all be using wire frame Perfection guides (much lighter than Fuji)?

I can understand no underwraps on a light freshwater or fly rod but to say they add too much weight on a rod that will be casting 1oz or more seems to be picking at nits.

I figure I grind enough metal off the guide feet that the weight thing is a push anyway smile.gif

gad

So Oz, should we all be using wire frame Perfection guides (much lighter than Fuji)?

I can understand no underwraps on a light freshwater or fly rod but to say they add too much weight on a rod that will be casting 1oz or more seems to be picking at nits.

I figure I grind enough metal off the guide feet that the weight thing is a push anyway smile.gif

gad

Gadballs,

Try using no guides rolleyes.gif

MAybe you missed this

The heavier the rod, the less effect an underwrap will have

I actually emailed Cape Fear prior to posting here.

The response just came, they underwrap the stripping guide only for extra strength.

I didn't understand that one. Am I missing something??

I would do what they say. If you notice none of the big fly rod mfg's underwrap they fly rods. sage ( my favorite) Loomis, T&T, or Orvis.

When I build a sw spin rod with mixed guides ( double footers first two and single footers out. I only underwrap the double foot guides. More for show than go. I do spend alot of time prepping the guide feet. Grind down on a belt sander ( Delta is the best for the money) then go over with a scotchbrite pad and clean with denatured alcohol. I also check the guide on the blank before I start wrapping to see if the feet need to be "tweeked" bent up or down so the thread flows smoothly.