Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeteD

Two handed flyrod

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al,

I want to build a two handed rod out of a 9' 12 wt. but don't know if I should spey rod parts. I understand that the two are different. Is the butt extension the rod itself or is a separate piece off the reel seat. Any advise would help.

Peter,

A spey rod is typically greater than 11 feet in length. The longer fore grip allows for 2-handed casting.

What is the application for your 9 foot 12 weight rod? If it is for fish fighting, then you can just increase the length of the regular grip from 7 inches to 12 inches or you can add a fighting grip above the regular grip.

Al

I hope this is permissable (Let me know Al!)! I don't work for the man or have any connection w/him, but RB Meiser has some 2-handed blanks & some "switch-rod" blanks from 11'-14' you should check out. Do a search on his name & you should find them.

Thanks for all the excellent information. At Summerset I watched a spey casting demo, and the guy was easily rolling 60' casts. He used the lower handle like lever.

Typically with two guys in a charter boat, one has to cast backwards. A roll cast off the bow, or stern would prevent this, and get the cast back out quickly to those busting fish. I just want to extended the lower handle for more leverage making a roll cast.