Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John E

Fuji Guide Question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Does fuji make a hi-frame surf guide in a 50HH? I have not seen them in the catalogs but I noticed them mentioned them in another post. If not, do you think a 40HH will be sufficient on an 11' rod (GSB1321M)with a VS250?

------------------

John E skunk.gif

John,

Fuji stopped making the 50HH for a while. I have been using the 40HH with excellent results. Please do searches on BrianZ and Surfpirate for the sticks I built them using these guides.

Surfpirate uses a VS250 and BrianZ a 704Z. Both are big reels. The 40HH should be positioned approximately 42-45 inches from the face of the spool.

I would tape the guides in place and test cast. Then adjust as needed until all line slap is eliminated.

Al

The large stainless stripper guide was the classic guide to use and is still preferred by many New England surf rats.

The highframe Fuji surf guides were introduced maybe ten years ago and have slowly gained acceptance as a better guide for surf spinning applications. However, with building any rod, it is essential for optimum performance that the placement of the guide be correct, whether it's the large stainless or the Fuji highframe guide.

Jim---the thought behind those big chromed guides was that the gathering guide should be as close as possible to the diameter of the reel spool. Some builders still subscibe to that theory. But, I have 50 mm Fuji BSVLG gathering guides on almost all of my 10' rods and they work fine.

Perfection is the only company making them since Mildrum stopped, and they aren't stainless any more, they're chrome plated.

What you will find happening a lot with the chromed wire guides is that the welds where the ring meets the frame give way and you have to replace them every couple of years. If you were to go with them all the way up, the ones bearing the most stress under load, near the tip, groove in a relatively short time.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 11-03-2001).]

If nothing else, the 50mm Fuji just looks a whole lot better and more natural - to my eye, anyway - on a ten foot or longer stick with a reel as husky as a 250 or a 706, than a high frame 40 does. Performance differentials from what I've tested out and experienced are bordering right on inconsequential, so I always tend to go for "the look".