Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Blank Suggestions?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Say I wanted to build a 9'6" to 10' spinner for primarily throwing plugs/tins/wood from 3/4 to 2 ounces with a sweet spot around 1 ounce. I want something with a softish tip to feel bombers wiggle but also enough power in the butt to move fish and maybe hoist smaller school sized fish up onto the rocks. Something that can handle larger fish but would still allow me to enjoy smaller fish (I am from NJ redface.gif ). I am thinking Lami, and while I don't know all their blanks, I was thinking of a 120 1L possibly cut down to 9'6".

Last Winter's project was an Allstar 1087, and I really like it for its intended use....to be able to move fish at will around the rocks, but I find it too fast to enjoy smaller fish and to feel smaller plugs.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance HappyWave.gif !

Alan

Gilbey,

a 120 1L would be a good choice. however, I would have recommended a Rainshadow 1207, but since you didnt like how fast your all-star was, there really is no other choice than the XRA 1204 (ron arra). Im building one right now for someone and let me tell you, this rod is perfect for whatyou want. soft tip, parabollic, pwer, great cast-a-bility.. awesome. another good thing? its only about $20 more expensive than a 120 1L, it should be the same price as a 120 1M.

GOod luck

BC

Well, im not too technical when it comes to specs, but I can tell you what I feel. The XRA seems to be more parabollic. its has a softer feel, a warmer feel if thats possible with a rod. it feels like it would load lighter plugs better. I know it can still cast bigger plugs. the 120 1L is a great rod, and does have a good feel, it can cast smaller plugs/lures, and still also cast bigger plugs. however, it doesnt have the same feel as the XRA 1204. Its like a nice car compared to a porsche. a civic can go 100mph, just fine, but the porsche does it with class and feel.

I dont know I hope it helps. the best way is to go to the store and hold both in your hands, youll be able to feel it right away. this is not a knock on the 120 1L, I use it and love it.

BC

If you like your allstar you may want to look at a allstar 1265 2. It is rated 3/4 to 2 with the sweet spot around 1 1/2. I have one on the bench right now to do exactly what you are looking for. It is light weight. great backbone, and will throw the lure weights you mentioned out of sight. Mine is being built in conventional but they are also great spinners.

For a sweet spot at 1 , you need a lighter rod . perhaps a Lami GSB 108 1L or XRA 1083 or an XRA 1204.

The Allstar 1145/2 and the longer but similar 1265/2 are really 3/4 to 3 OZ rods despite the mnaufactureres ratings. They really peak out at about 2 OZ. Now if you are talking 2 OZ for the sewat spot , I think the allstars mentioned are the best around.

Note the change , its the GS(B) 108 1L

[ 11-21-2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Saltheart ]

IMO, the sweet spot on the XRA is just about 1 oz. with a bucktail, definately, with a bomber? maybe... define sweet spot. I do as being able to launch comfortably and easily, thats a 1 oz buck..

BC

I would concur with saltheart in the the Lamiglas 1081L fits your needs as far as sensitivity and power. It is a very sensitive rod with braid and can throw down to 1/2 jig or plug nicely. It can also handle up to 2 and a half or even three ounces although you will be in the upper range with plugs that big. For 1-2 oz, I think its the perfect blank. I have built both the 1081L and the 1201L for myself and while the 1201L can throw bombers you dont have the feel you do with a 1081L....on the other hand a 1201L is a pencil poppers dream. While being light and sensitive, it also has quite a bit of backbone and can handle bigger fish in current and areas where you need to turn heads. As to lifting fish on jetties, while generally this is a no-no with graphite blanks, I have lifted fish up to 29-30 inches up on jetties carefully.

Only problem is that its 9 feet...but for Jersey I really see no need for going for a longer rod unless you have something specific your looking to do...

I find that unless I am throwing pencils or real big wood...the 1081L makes the trip with me.

Phil L