Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie G

Tied Up A Few Eel Flies today

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

With all this posting of flatwing Capes I had to sit down and tie up a few Flatwing Eels today. I didn't follow any one pattern and just winged it.

I used up about all the black feathers left on the cape so now I need to search for another. That won't be an easy task.

Nice looking pattern you've put up Charlie! Is that purple dubbing or polar chenille wrapped on the inside?Good mojo right there, nice job with the loose interpretation of a fwing.

Cool fly Charlie .... Love that bobbin/ tool holder n the background too! What's the wood? Looks like elder or Like a burled maple? Really pretty

Thanks guys I really enjoyed tying those up. I think the fly in the top picture came out the best.

Kevin I used ice dubbing in a loop in there. It gave me a little roundness to the body. It was Hareline ice dubbing in the dark olive color.

Jaytee that tool and bobbin holder was one of my winter wood projects from 2 years ago. I made it with a quilted maple face and tiger maple top and bottom rails and ends.

I put a hand rubbed shellac finish on it. I usually find 1 or 2 wood projects to keep me busy over the winter.

Last winter I built a tying station for a friend and a dubbing brush maker for myself.

black is one I really wish I had left and I can't find a good long cape at all.. MIAMI INTERCEPTS AND NOW MARCHING WITH A 16 15 LEAD AT END OF 3RD QUARTER AND TB MAY BE LOOKING AT ANOTHER LOSS.... oh, nice variation and eel fly's are just not to be without.. I really wanna do some more work at the vice but fishing and working are all I have time for right now.

With all this posting of flatwing Capes I had to sit down and tie up a few Flatwing Eels today. I didn't follow any one pattern and just winged it.

I used up about all the black feathers left on the cape so now I need to search for another. That won't be an easy task.

I DO like this Fly!! Partly for its sparseness yet fullness in one tie. Nice work my friend!! I know just the place to fish it! Thanks for the post.

Marky it's a J-Vice

I treated myself to it when I retired a few years back. And I figured it will last me the rest of my life.

I love it, I've tied from 7/0 tail hooks for my plugs down to a size #2 it has served me well and I would spend the money to buy one again if I ever needed another vice.