Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Possum

glueing a sticker???

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get a pretty stiff sticker to lay down flat on a rod so I can epoxy it in place.I have used contact cement a lot in non- rodbuilding projects and I know it will hold the sticker down.What I do not know is how the contact cement will react with CP and epoxy.Has anyone tried this?? Does anyone know of another way to do this?Any advice greatly appreciated!

What kind of sticker is it? You're probably better off paying a few bucks and having Decal Connection make you a sticker. No idea how it will react (no need for CP) wth epoxy, but I'mpretty sure if it is stiff, you'll need to put a few coats of epoxy to hide teh edges it will have.

I have not tried to apply a stiff sticker to a rod but will share a couple things I have done.

I have used prism tape, with adhesive already on the tape. I was building some rods for my young nieces and I matched the color of prism tape with the color of thread. (Barbie colored prism tape and pink thread) When I applied the flex coat over the prism tape the flex coat started eating at the glue under the tape, and the tape mostly unwrapped as the flex coat cured. cwm23.gif I trimmed off the part of tape that un-adhered and applied a second coat of finish and they looked pretty good to the kids. rolleyes.gif

I recenlty built an Oregon State Univ rod for a guy, Orange and Black with a beaver sticker. I epoxied the edge of the sticker down before applying the finish as I was afraid the finish would eat away at the glue on the sticker. Worked fine.

21401275.jpg

Very nice looking fishin rod,BoE.The black trim bands look great!I'm doing something much like what you did,except with burgundy(ncp garnet) and gold wraps and a Redskins look.The "sticker" I am trying to get flat on the blank is actually from the packaging of some Skinnies memorabilia.It is pretty stiff,about like heavy kodak paper.Thanks for the tip on the decal connection B40 and thanks for the replies.

Possum try this wrap the sticker around the blank where you want it to go- wrap some heavy rubber bands over the sticker let sit for 12 hours this usually will cause the sticker to follow the contours of the blank when applied- be advised some types of stickers will fade or the inks will smear if at all possible get one and test it on the same color blank you will be using

John

Well, I had a recent request for a topless girl on a rod. I couldn't make it work with decal paper, so ,I just printed it on photo paper. I used a thin layer of 5-min epoxy to glue it to the blank.No CP used-just classic coat finish. All worked well & it came out fine.

The 5 min epoxy will eventually turn yellow.

On ething you can do is wrap thread over the ends , put finish on the middle. Then after it hardens , remove the thread and put finxih on the ends. follow up next day with a coat all over the sticker.

the 5-min. was only under the photo-I don't think any oozed out around the edges -shouldn't be a problem.

I have used 5-min for emergency field repair finish on guides...sure does turn ugly after a couple weeks<><

Great suggestions.I have the sticker safety taped arond a smaller section of the rod,I'm trying roddesigner's pre- form-friction-fit method first.CP over and under when I "install" the icon should set up quick and stabilize it for a good epoxy dunking.Thanks to all!