Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Thomas

Question to Board Members

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Boy that sounded official wink.gif

I fished with the masters Tim & Charlie about a week ago. They were using nice G-Loomis rods. I was using a 9' Sealine. It was determined I could not feel the lures working and need something a bit lighter.

Ok...reason to buy new toys wink.gif I fell in love with the Daiwa Regal 4000 X-IA last year but it was a shade too small for me. Now I want it.

Question: What rod within a price range of $125 or less. I saw the St. Croix 8' Tidewater and that seemed like a very nice setup.

I will be throwing Mega-Bait lures, Small bombers. Would want to go up to about 1 1/2 oz capacity.

Suggestions??

Thanks

------------------

Bob Thomas

RThomas61@aol.com

Bob....that's a decent rod. You might want to look at the Loomis SUR965...at 8' it is a better rod but more expensive. But it's worth the extra dough. smile.gif

------------------

DC ><}}}}>

Hey Bob,

The Loomis that we use is the SUR1023S, you can pick it up for around $185 but if your looking to spend a little less $$ you might want to find a Lamiglass dealer and play with a couple of rods, I beleive that you can find a nice Lami for a little less money that will be similar in action.

The St Croix rods are decent, find a shop and play around before you buy. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Bob, you might also consider contacting MikeT at his shop and see what he can do for ya wrapping up a stick on the 1023S blank. Might be worth your time. wink.gif

TimS

You know...you guys are right. I e-mailed Mike at CC Tackle asking about the St. Croix but totally forgot that he builds rods too! redface.gifredface.gif

Mike, If you read this, I'll stop down possibly Sunday and check in with ya. In the mean time, if you think of something usefull for me, email me.

Thanks all!

------------------

Bob Thomas

RThomas61@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Bob Thomas (edited 08-29-2000).]

Tim has a good idea. Mike T wrapped a conventional rod for me on a Loomis 108-20 blank. He did a great job and it cost less than it would have for the factory version.

The 1023 is a great rod for what you want. If you can get a good price from him, it's worth a few extra bucks.

Arne

Bob...Check out Mike T's custom-built rods using a Sabre blank. His prices are very reasonable and his work is perfect based on both the many reports I have read and my experience of purchasing a custom rod from him... He made a rod for me on the 102 Sabre blank... Sweet--sensitive enough to get by w/ a 1-oz lure, but can still throw a 3-oz jig... The going price for the finished rod in 1999 was about $125.

I sometimes use Daiwa's Regal Z 4000 on the rod. From a matching standpoint the 4000 is little small for the Sabre 102. A better-matched rod for that reel would be St Croix's 8' rod rated to 2 oz, forget the model number... I own this rod and it is also nice, well suited for a Regal 4000 reel. Cost about $140...

The Regal X and Z 4000 are basically the same in size. If you are fishing an inlet w/ this size reel you will need to consider a super braid for capacity unless you are using 12# mono (not suggested)... Also, I have found that the both Regal Z and X reels that I own don't do well in saltwater if exposed to serious wet conditions like a dousing on a jetty or in the surf... The main shaft is not sealed and will seize if not lubed on a regular basis...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

[This message has been edited by Rumble Fish aka Poppy (edited 08-30-2000).]

The 8 ft St. Croix is a SS80M. I think that they go for about $140.00 these days. Another Saber to consider is the 1087. It's a very versatile blank. I bought a custom from Mike T for about $155.00, and you can't beat the craftmanship.

Bob,

I have a St. Croix Ben Doerr SS86M2 and LOVE that rod!!!! I have an old Shimano Spheros on it with #25 Ripcord SI and can throw a bomber as far as I need to. Great rod and don't forget - break it and they give you a new one. How can you beat it? Did I say that I LOVE that rod?

rob

Bob,

I have several St.Croix's and my buddy has the 1 piece 8 footer.

The 8-6 2 piece was my first surf plugging rod and is a bit stiffer than the one piece.

You could chuck bait with the 8-6 if you had to, I think it's more versatile BUT strictly for plugging I'd go with the one piece 8 footer, it's a nice rod.

p.s. you can't beat their service, they replace anything, in my experience anyway, long after the 2 year warranty is over.

Todd

I have the 8 foot St Croix and the Loomis 1023. They are both good plugging rods. The St Croix will handle a little more weight than the loomis but the loomis is more sensitive. FOr open beaches with plugs up to 1.5 ounces the Loomis wins hands down.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Bob,

If you happen to get down to Blackbeard's in Eastham, check out the Star Rods. They are very nice if you don't have the time to wait for a custom rod. As I recall the prices were in the $120 - $140 range.

Of course there is the obvious solution to your situation. Buy a blank and build it yourself. It isn't very hard to create a fishable rod.

I bought a Loomis SUR965 last week and I love it. I was originally looking for a St. Croix 8' Tidemaster but the Loomis felt better in my hand at the store. After a week of using it in the surf I know I made the right choice!

Toad- I have the 8'6" St. Croix in a conventional as well (SS86MC) Actually, it's rated lighter than the SS80M and IMO, has less backbone. The 8'6" is rated up to 1.5 oz. and the 8' is rated for 2 Oz. I use mine mostly for jigging these days.