Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJSurfFisherman

surf rod choice

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

i am new to this site but have read many of the fourms.  I have been surf fishing for a good three years now with little success.  I am looking to up mu game this year and have my sights set on a st Croix triumph and penn battle 7000, the rod seems to be a little light for the type of fishing I will be doing. am also on a budget of around 200-250 dollars on a rod .  I fish for bluefish and stripped bass on the jersey shore all over Massachusetts and the islands of Nantucket I frequently use pencil poppers metal lipped swimmers heavy tins and bucktails up to four ounces I would like some help chosing a good rod that will last a while and hold up to the big fish as well as the conditions

BY the way I use braid

in that price range and for lure up to 4oz, but no more, either the 10.5 2-6oz Mojo or the xs 10 mhs lamiglas are good choices. i know of no rod throwing 4 oz that works well with pencil poppers.

I would recommend you look at the St. Croix Mojo 10"6" 3/4-4 ounce. I would try to stay away from 4 oz.

They come with a 5 year warranty and St. Croix has an upgrade policy should you want to use in the future.

Mojo 10'6" 3/4-4 but don't throw hard anything over 3oz - just my opinion.

See if you can handle the Star Paraflex rod - same size & weight specs. Around $200.

Tsunami Airwave Elite -- several rod lengths around 10 -11 with different weight ranges. Around $200.

All are 70/30 splits ...

I prefer the larger guides on the Lamiglas surf rods - have two of them and have a third one I bought that will be delivered on Thursday. I would also be concerned about the lack of customer support with a damaged rod from St. Croix. Lots of bad press on St. Croix in this regard but have not seen anything similar for Lamiglas. A warranty is only as good as the company standing behind it.

I prefer the larger guides on the Lamiglas surf rods - have two of them and have a third one I bought that will be delivered on Thursday. I would also be concerned about the lack of customer support with a damaged rod from St. Croix. Lots of bad press on St. Croix in this regard but have not seen anything similar for Lamiglas. A warranty is only as good as the company standing behind it.

where have you had a bad experience with the St. Croix customer service ? They have some of the best service in the industry!!! Did you have a bad experience ??

Can't trust rod ratings. Some can throw heavier than rated, and some not even close.

In the case of a mojo 3/4-4.

2.5 oz is the max. Sweet spot is 1-1 3/4 oz.

it has a hard time handling a A27 for sure. Anyone throwing 3 oz or over, I would love to see your casting form.

Can't trust rod ratings. Some can throw heavier than rated, and some not even close.

In the case of a mojo 3/4-4.

2.5 oz is the max. Sweet spot is 1-1 3/4 oz.

it has a hard time handling a A27 for sure. Anyone throwing 3 oz or over, I would love to see your casting form.

I was throwing 3.5 metal lip, loaded the rod up good. But know its limitations

I was throwing 3.5 metal lip, loaded the rod up good. But know its limitations

I have no doubt it can cast 3 or even 4 oz. If my life depended on it, but if someone asks me what's the true rating is for all day casting without the fear if the rod exploding or look like I'm chuncking 8 + bait, I would say 3/4 to 2.5.

TFO surf rod.  Lightest surf rod i have come across.  Lure rating is 2-8.  Though I doubt that is correct.  Its probably more like 2-6 at most.  Price is $200 and it comes with a lifetime warranty.  Hard to pass this one up.  Bought mine from the SaltWaterEdge.