Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kml

Applying finish ?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

When applying finish do you do it with the rod mounted in the drying motor and put the finish on with the rod rotating at a slow speed.

Or apply the finish when rotating the rod by hand or with power wrapper and then move the rod over to the drying motor for the finish to cure ?

I just put the finish on my first rod and the reason I ask is that I seemed to get better results around the guide feet when the rod was not turning and I could rotate by hand. I did the rest of the wrap when the rod was turning slowly on the drying motor. But I felt that I could have done a better job on the edges if the rod was turning faster than at drying speed.

Just curious how everyone else does it.

Thanks.

Even when I was wrapping a fairly high volume of rods, I always rotated by hand when applying finish coats. I could work much quicker that way and got the coverage I wanted around guide feet and on the underwrap areas between the guide feet much more cleanly. I did often apply color preserver under power, not with the low rpm drying motor, but rather with the wrap motor running at a moderate speed.

I use the pedal control so I can stop and go while applying the finish around the guides.Once I get the epoxy on I switch it over to run constant.Then I take a rag with a little alcohol on it and make a clean line where the epoxy meets the blank.

------------------

SOL#2002

I put the finish on with my lathe - I step on te foot pedal to get teh edges, then rotate by hand for the rest of the guide wrap. When they aer ll coated, I move it onto the drying motor.