Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rodcrafter1

Light surf rod

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I am looking for a blank for a light surf rod with the following specs to be used at the Outer Banks: 9 feet (1 or 2 piece), 1-3 ounces, 12-17 lb line for Puppy Drum, Trout and Stripers. The rod is to be built conventional (perhaps spiral) for use with an AbuGarcia 5500-6500 and will cast metal and live bait. The obvious candidates are the G.Loomis SU1084 (maybe a tad heavy), the Ron Arra XRA 1083 (maybe a tad light), the Lami GLB 1081M, GLB1081MH, GLB 1082MH and GSB 1081M. I would appreciate advice from anyone, including any other blanks I should consider.

Thanks in advance to all. I look forward to seeing many of you February 9th.

I am going to keep my head down on this one.

Hugh, I think you will be getting a good response from some very knowledgable fishermen.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 12-02-2001).]

The GSB1081m would be your best bet. It throws 2oz metals without any effort. I have the same blank built conventional and use it for throwing bucktails of the rocks.

------------------

Tight lines,

Eric

CustomSurfTackle@aol.com

Berkeley Striper Club - Seaside Park N.J.

Batson/"Rainshadow" 1088 would work, too---at a substantial savings over the other blanks. The All Star GSW 1088 is another good option. The Loomis 1084 is the same blank as my 108-20 conventional. 1-3 is easy. I've thrown 7/8 oz Bombers on it with a Calcutta 400 or a 6500 Abu.

Are you serious about a spiral wrap? That may offer some modest advantage in a vertical fight, but for a casting tool, that'd introduce an awful lot of unneeded line slap.

Ditto ont eh All-Star 1088. It is a stiff rod, and its sweet spot is a touch over 2 I would say, GREAT stick, the blank is very light. The Lami 1081m is also a good option, it's action is not as "fast" or tip-oritented as the all-star.

JC

I will throw in a third for the all star 1088, but would probably go with the 17lb test, 12 might be a little too light to take advantage of the full fish fighting qualities of that rod. I love mine, wrapped conventional, abu 6500, very versitile rod and does very well casting in the one to three range, can go a little under and a lot over if you want to lob live bait.

Angryeel

I agree with Ditch.

Lami GSB1081M or rainshadow 1088 (which by the way is actualy 8 ft 10 inches long NOT 9ft)

Great blank, looks cool with the clear matte finish. The Rainshadow will save you $40.00 that you can put into guides...dont forget the SIC tip!

I have a 9fter Pac Bay IGSC1088 that I wrapped up a couple of years ago. Same as the Rainshadow 1088. The rainshadow in my opinion is a better blank.

Pac Bay bought the Sabre trade name. I think all of their current blanks carry the Pac Bay name. Their blanks have a gloss finish, whereas the Rainshadow ones have a matte finish.

IMO---the Rainshadow blanks are more like the original Sabre IGSC than the current Pac Bay versions.