Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveZ

Foam Grips

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have some Diawa rods that are ok except I hate those clunky foam grips and would like to replace them with cork tape. Is it a real pain to get the foam off? I imagine they epoxy it on and I really don't want to attack the grips until I have some understanding of what I'm getting into. Thanks.

I did my Diawa 9'. I stripped the entire butt. Changed to a smaller reelseat #18. I slit the fore grip w/razor knife around the grip carefully not to cut blank. Removed the slices of foam cutting the underneath w/ the blade then scaping carefully the excess foam. Finish by sanding smooth,tape grip and finish w/wrap or shrink wrap. I did the whole butt section because the seat was too large for comfort. hope this helps.

Thanks for that, Billy. The reel seats are ok, I just wanna get rid of that clunky foam. So I guess the thing to do is cut off as much foam as you can, scrape down to the blank but don't cut it, sand smooth, double wrap with cork tape, shrink sleeve the ends, put on a new cap. That cover it? I'd need 1 1/4" shrink sleeve to fit over the reel seat. Does it come that big?

Anybody else?

Where's a decent mail order place for tape, shrink sleeve, and butt caps?

Thanks.

Summermoonrodworks.com They have 1`" shrink wrap.It is possible to strech thin pieces of it for trim over the reelseat. This stuff is great, you might want to single wrap the foregrip and shrihk wrap the whole grip. My rod is finished that way. Smooooooth feel.

I stripped one of the rods today. It was pretty easy to do. Now I gotta order some tape and stuff to finish it. Shoulda done this a long time ago.

While waiting for the tape to show up I stripped the other three rods. Of the four one had almost no epoxy, one had tons, and the other two were somewhere in between. But it was easy to strip & smooth the rods, less than 30 minutes each.

The tape came today and I've installed it on two rods already. I am well pleased with the results. This is a way good thing to do if you have a rod you like but hate the foam grips. Besides, I'm sure they'll catch much better now smile.gif .

Much thanks to BillyD for his positive response on this.

This is what this forum all about; helping others. We all can't know it all, but the info on this sight from all is definetly on surpassed. Glad to be some help. Billy D. Ct. Surfcasters Assoc.