Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

St Croix Legend Rods?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I wanted to make this a separate thread because of the way my thread on an 11 footer was heading.

Someone mentioned St Croix Legend rods to me and I have heard a lot of folks on here mention them. Also saw a couple on Wantofish rod holders. Because of these facts I researched the following rods on the St Croix website. They both seem to fit my criteria for a new "bigger" rod. I can see they are very similar, on paper, in capabilities and price.

LSS100MMF2 10' M Mod. Fast 2 10 - 20 1 - 4 11.3 3 $ 420

LSS106MM2 10'6" M Mod. 2 10 - 20 3/4 - 4 11.6 3 $ 430

Does anybody out there fish either of them and can you give me an honest opinion of how you like them, how they cast, what they can really handle etc. This will be for plugging and tins. Might be an occasional time when I throw pencils.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Spig I fish the 10'6 3/4 to 4 paired up with a vs200. It is a fantastic all around rod for jersey. They can handle any bass in our waters up to about 40 lbs with no problem at all (probably higher but thats my best on this rod from the beach). The rod isnt great under an oz and Id say the sweet spot is 1.5-2.5 oz. I've used it from everything from avas to 3.5 oz pencils. Not a real power casting rod, I find most distance is gained with a solid strong cast with quick snap at the end letting the rod do most of the work.

I fish mostly St croix and have been nothing but pleased with the several rods I own, this being my go to surf work horse.

Lou,

Both Tony and I have the 10'6"  3/4-4.  I have a Torque 5 on mine and Tony has a VS 200 on his.  I believe he also has a 2-6 as well.  You should try em tomorrow.  I can cast 1.5 - 3 oz with very little effort to get over the bar or easily dropped in the trough which ever is needed.   I'm not particularly fond of how it works with pencils but no problems with anything else.

Bob

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Bigdeal View Post

How about 1 dishonest opinion .....?

Ok I'll bite, I don't like the amount of money I paid for some of them, fishless has better negotiation skills than I do. :)

Spig , like you I plug a lot with either a gsb1081L or a loomis sur965 . I can't stand the feel of the Legend , too stiff , and hate the grip . I much rather the softer feel of the mojo. Based on your liking the gsb , I would think either a Century stealth or CTS Vapor trail is going to feel much better to you.

Spig , like you I plug a lot with either a gsb1081L or a loomis sur965 . I can't stand the feel of the Legend , too stiff , and hate the grip . I much rather the softer feel of the mojo. Based on your liking the gsb , I would think either a Century stealth or CTS Vapor trail is going to feel much better to you.

Can't believe you feel that way about the 10'6" Legend. I cast it the other morning, on a beach, and literally did not see the lure land on the other side of the bar. Had to toss it a couple of more times just to zone in on where the casts were landing and I will honestly say I have never been able to cast that far in my entire 55 years of surf fishing. That rod will throw a lure a long way with minimum effort. As for the grip, I have the exact spiral configuration on my 1081L and love it.

See why they make Ford and Chevies!!