Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MichaelT

Help with old question

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I am in the process of having two new rods built. Both are 9' one piece blanks, Pac Bay 1087 and a 1088. I have read several recommendations for guide sizes and numbers in the past. Most have recommended 5 guides and a few have said 4 is enough. Both of the rod builders I've talked to about making these rods for me are recommending that I go with 6. Both of these people have been highly recommended and are very experienced. I was at CMS on Saturday and I noted that they also put six guides on these blanks. The guy at CMS said that one of the reasons people have graphite rods break is because of to few guides.

I understand that there are differing opinions on this like most other things. I'd like to get some more information on this from builders on this site. What do you think is the right guide set up for these rods? I will be using either a Penn 6500 or a 560 Slammer. The butt will be 20" to the beginning of the 5" Fugi reel seat. I usually like my first guide around 32 to 34" from the end of the reel seat.

Thanks for any help. Mike

Michael,

Six guides on a rod like those is not a problem and if the builder is good and has it worked out for that, let him do it up. That's why you are going to them in the first place!

Do we get to cast your new sticks next season?

biggrin.gif

CD

I haven't had a 5 guide rod break, but I know what NOT to do to a rod. 6 guides sounds like to much on those blanks, but it probably won't hurt ya. If you have confidence in the guy that's building them, go with his recomendation. If you don't know him well, maybe let him build one and see how you like it before you commit to the second stick.