Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Popster

Help Needed, Rod Finish Repair

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

This is my first post on this forum. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I did a search on "refinish" and got some info, but am hoping to find a shortcut. Maybe that's not possible.

I have a number of BassPro Extreme Spinning rods that are showing their age. The finish is flaking off the rods. The windings and guides are tight.

I was hoping to be able to just recoat the rods. From reading the searched info, it seems like I could scrape any finish off the rods with a razor blace held perpendicular to the rod, lightly sand, and then recoat.

I've seen a rod "restorer" by Gudebrod and a professional 2 part rod finish by Cabelas in neat little individual use packets.

Any suggestions/thought on the best way to proceed?

My goal is just to protect the rods. Don't care too much what they look like- I fish em like I rented them- they see hard use.

Thanks.

When you say the windings and guides are tight, do you mean the finish on the wraps is okay and that the only peeling is on the blank in between the wraps?

If so, you can wetsand the stuff off and coat with Permagloss. Wear a mask since the stuff is volatile! icon14.gif

I tried the Gudebrod Rod Restorer and my best advice is to not go near the stuff. Within a month of putting it on it started peeling off my yellow Fenwick in strips. I suspect that it's nothing more than repackaged polyurathane.

I have been rather disapointed with Permagloss. I used it for the first time couple of years ago to gloss over some old warriors. Scuffed the rods with 0000 steel wool,cleaned it with alcohol and applied it with the rubber glove. It looked great for about a month or two. Then it started to yellow and began to peel rather badly on the rods that were fished. Its on 2 rods that have never seen the light of day and it seems very soft and ready to peel off them too. I had heard good things about Permagloss but it didn't work for me. Oh and it will turn solid in the opened bottle if you don't store it upside down.

Unfortunately I don't have a rod lathe, and my metal lathe is 400 miles away. However, I could rig something up to do the job. Will give it a try on a rod and see how it does before I do all of them. Again, thanks.

You said you don't care what they look like, then don't mess with the finish on them at all. It's a mess and a pain and the finish on the rod dosn't really protect the rod very much at all. Most people use perma-gloss or marine spar polyurithane, sp? with the spar poly getting the nod on easiness of use perma-gloss is touchy as it dries fast. But seriously don't worry about it. If a slick finish really protected the rods, you wouldn't see soooooo many high-end rod companies selling matte finished blanks and finished rods.