Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wet Lines

Spooling Braided Line

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I am currently in the process of changing all my salt water reels from mono line to Powerpro braid. My only previous experience with braided lines is with fresh water equipment. I use spiderwire for most of my sweet water applications. However I did experience a major problem with this braid. The first time it happen I freeked, I was attempting to land a mother load muskie when I thought I blew out the drag on a brand new Shamino. Later to find out the braided line was rotating on the reel spool. I was advised to apply double back tape to the reel spool then add line. This was not a good suggestion. It stopped the braid from rotating, however as I do ever year, I respool with new line. The glue from the double back tape was a SOB to get off. Do I need a mono line backing prior to adding Powerpro to salt water reels???

Wet,

All you need to do is put two layers of mono line back on the reel and join the two laid with a double uni knot.

You need to spool on the braid under alot of tension so the line is packed tightly on the spool to prevent the line from digging in.

Al

Again I am no expert but I find having an old conventional reel handy help...I spool the superline onto an old squidder then from there I re-spool it back on to whatever reel I want. By doing it this way I can really control the tension with the drag on the squidder and make sure that its just where I want it.

There's a little trick with electric tape that TimS demonstrated at the fall fling.. It's worked for me.. Tie your knot in the braid and start to wrap with your hand.. Then put a piece of electric tape on top of that first wrap about 3\\4 of the way around the spool.. Press with your finger to ensure it's fully stuck to the spool and now you're on your way.. How you choose to apply tension as you spool up is up to you.. Again, this has worked for me so far... Perhaps Tim can elaborate a little bit..

ErikT

[This message has been edited by ErikT (edited 01-23-2002).]