Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJA

Glueing a 2 piece rod

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have a 9'6" Lami that is 2 piece and I wanna make it a 1 piece...

what do I use to glue it together???

any special procedure?

where do I get the stuff to do it?

Thanx

RJA

------------------

If a Ram is a Goat and a Mule is an Ass

then why is a Ram in the Ass a Goose?

Don't mean to step on any toes Mr G, but I have used devcon 2-ton epoxy with good success. At least the rod I used it on has survived 5 months without breaking/shifting. Sand the inside of the female section of the blank as well as the male section, clean with alcohole, then apply epoxy. I actually put a little extra in the female portion so it will coat the top of the male completely when joined. clean excess away, then put some masking tape snug to the bottom of the joints, sit butt down in a vertical position till cured. Remove masking tape, fish.

JC

Jameson,I couldn't have done it better. It is important that after lightly sanding to just dull the finish that you thoroughly clean both mating parts with solvent.

2-Ton Devcon is good and the non-flowing slow cure epoxy like U40 Rod Bond is also excellent.

Here is a tip for anyone looking for a great light-tackle plugging rod from 7.5-8 feet long and from 3/4-2 ounces. Look for a freshwater bass "Flipping Stick" with the telescoping handle. Alot of times at the end of the season these blanks become available on a closeout inventory sale. Pick up a couple of these blanks.

First separate the two sections. Then spine the tip section and mark it. Follow Jameson's gluing step to join the two sections together.

After the glue has cured for 24 hours, get a piece of scrap fiberglass blank and fit it over the joint so that approximately two inches of sleeve is on either side of the joint.

Glue the sleeve over the joint. You can take up the space between the tip section and the sleeve with a masking tape arbor. Then completely fill the remaining space with epoxy glue. Let it dry overnight.

Now start building your rod by first fitting up the butt handle area with a cork grip of your desired length, the reelseat and foregrip. Ideally, the reelseat should fit over the sleeved joint.

You will end up with a very sweet jetty or boat plugging rod.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 10-23-2001).]

Al,

I have a rod that's brand new never used and the ferrule is located at the top of the butt. For a new rod do I still have to sand the ferrule? What grade and how do you sand the female section. I want to make this permanent.

Many thanks.

Fredbird,

You will need to light sand the areas being glued together. All you want to do is dull the finish. 320 grit is fine.

To sand the inside of the female ferrule just wrap sandpaper around a thin pencil that will fit into the ferrule. It that will not work use a fine round file.

Clean both joints thoroughly as previously discussed and glue them together,

Al