Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAL

Lamiglass Poppin' Blanks

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

This thread ties into the GP 964... TimS's post on the his experience with the 964 blank and lure weights is making me wonder...

Kinda curious with everyone's experience with the GP 964 (and GP 963) and lure casting range. I am seriously considering making a spinner (for 20# braid & 4000 series Shimano) out of a GP 964. The rod would be used primarily for Weakies and school size bass... The weight range listed by Lamiglass (3/8- 3/4) would be ideal since I will be tossin' leadhead/ plastic and small plugs within the range.

My experience with Poppin' blanks is they tend to be more parabolic than XFast tipped, a characteristic I am looking for to make a 8' Weaky rod. What is everyone's experience (opinion) on the GP 964 for this application?

JAL, the rating on that blank would be more accurately 3/8-1 1/2oz. It's not parabolic either, the first 1/3 is for casting, the bottom 2/3's is for stopping fish. 90% of the bend is in the first 1/2 of the rod. It does make a super weakfish stick and will throw the 3/8oz to 3/4oz you are looking to throw..but it's so much more than that heart.gif

TimS

Thanks for the info TimS,

I have 3 Loomis Poppin' rods (2 spinners, 1 casting) and they tend to be more parabolic or moderate action than XFast tipped. That is an interesting note about the Lamiglass Poppin' blanks.

Still sounds like a good choice for an 8' Weaky spinnin' rod smile.gif Got some other questions for ya', shoot you a email.