Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Six legged starfish?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Our starfish around NJ have 5 legs. Yes, I know some batch of PC panty wastes officially changed their name to 'sea stars'...but they were starfish when I saw my first one, so that over rides any PC name changing nonsense wink.gif

Anyway...our starfish locally have 5 legs. Toggin' one day I find a 6 legged one tangled in the anchor line. It now lives in my tank smile.gif Anyone know what the numerical odds of a starfish that normally has 5 legs being born with six instead? I wouldn't normally even bother thinking about it...but BrianZ saw the critter in my tank and said he was curious about the odds. Then he left me hangin' and I need some kinda closure here wink.gif

What are the odds?

TimS

Wonder what the odds are of cutting that one in half and having two 6-legged ones? wink.gif

Interesting thought icon25.gifwink.gif

But this one was caught in the wild. I've seen a whole lotta starfish over the years...and this is the first with 6 legs smile.gif

TimS

Here is some info I found on a simple search...

Starfish live in every ocean. They do not have legs, only arms called rays. They have between five and forty arms and come in different colors.

HI Tim !

You bring back an old memory, When i read this about you, It came to me right away. I am 56 years old but do recall as a young man of 17 being down in Belmar, Surfing & upon pulling in my line to do a bait check, There it was a Starfish as we know them as. A Big 6 leggar holding that bait for all he was worth, I did return him to the deep. you are the first i have heard of since that time, That is 31 years ago, That should give you an idea of the odds. But i would assume that it is not impossible if you have ever researched oddity's of nature as i have, You will find that this is not an uncommon thing. We only think it is as it is something that nomally is not discussed. Why you ask. Because we feel as humans they are so low on the food chain. Actually no food value what so ever. No one would probably whant to hear about it any way.

Our starfish around NJ have 5 legs.

Anyway...our starfish locally have 5 legs. Toggin' one day I find a 6 legged one tangled in the anchor line. What are the odds?

TimS

That's an easy one Tim. The odds are six to five!

Spigola wink.giftongue.gifcwm12.gif

Maybe it started out as five armed and one of the arms got cut legnthwise?

That thought crossed my mind...but all 6 legs are nearly exact smile.gif

TimS

I think you caught that the day I was out with you and Grube. A local lobsterman who hangs around the fisherman's den caught a blue lobster this year. He told me that it is like one in 100 million. I believe it resides in the aquarium at Jenks.

found thsi little ditty "Sea Stars (Asteroidea) are sometimes called Starfish, even though they are not fish at all. These animals belong to the phylum Echinodermata, which means "spiny skinned." This phylum is made up of five classes: Asteroidea (sea stars), Echinoidea (sea urchins), Ophiuroidea (brittle stars), Crinoidea (feather stars and sea lilies) and Holothurioidea (sea cucumbers). There are more than 5,000 species and most of them prefer warm waters.

The usual number of arms on these creatures is five but they can have as many as 30. If an arm is broken off, they can grow a new one in its place. Their arms are tipped with suction cups which helps them move along and open their prey which includes clams and other bivalves, sea urchins, and even other sea stars. A sea star's mouth is on the bottom center where the arms meet" Didn;t know they were now called sea stars. Scott

ScottO got it. Starfish usually have pentaradial symmetry but since they can regenerate arms they might end up with more. I've seen quite a few 6 armed starfish off NJ when they come up in the nets.