Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

Lamiglas XS10 MHC 2 (Ditch Jigging Rod?)

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey:

Man a lot of changes on this board lately. Wow...guess I've been too busy holed up in my basement trying to finish all of the many projects that I've started over the winter.

Anyone know if I can jig the canal with that rod (lamiglas xs10 mhc2)??? It is rated for 2 to 7 oz.

I've done a bunch of searches and I haven't been able to come up with anything on that particular rod.

If that doesn't work I'm thinking either

sb1213 lamiglas

or

sw1209 Patriot Blank

I checked em' out at Mike's last week and I can't stop thinkin' about them.

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Tightlines,

Stroth

A freind of mine uses one as a chunking rod on the beach. I took him to the canal last fall and he used it for jigs up to 5 oz's. Handled it well and I was very impressed with the rod for that use. I would say it would work real well in the 3-5 range.

I like it a lot.

Based on Tim's and others recommedations for a 2 piece rod with some guts, I bought a used one from Big Country.

It'll swim 5 ounces without problems, is sensitive enough and has the guts to stop a good fish.

There's not many 2 piecers around that will do this. I absolutely have to have a 2 piece. It fit the bill so well I picked up a Perigee 1202M over the winter and am just waiting for the fish to return to go play.

Bob

Guys:

Thanks for you quick replies.

It sounds like the blank is a factory equiped model, so I'm thinking Hardaloy guides??? Does anyone know if I'm right?

Bobinma do you mind me asking how much you paid for it used?

Yes I check my pms. smile.gif

The guidess are hardalloy. I have no complaint with the hardalloy but, the rear most guide is too far and too small. A couple of good fish had the line below the blank on the factory rod with good pressure. I also had trouble with a wide reel like the 7000 with the line piling up. I wrapped my Perigee with a 30 a little closer and used the hardalloys. You might still be able to get the Perigee they had a bunch of these.

Thanks bob.

I'd most likely be using an abu 7000c3 or 7000cl.

Did you get the perigee from Tim?

Sounds like the rod isn't perfect, but it might to what I want it to.

Make sure you keep an eye on the hardaloy guides. Especially if you are throwing with braid. I've never seen it, but I hear the braid can put a groove in the guide.

I still can't make up my mind................

Thanks worcboy...

Right now I'm looking at buying it. You can never have enough rods right?

or enough projects....

If it'll throw five oz. and possibly do some chunkin' I'll take it.

Tightlines,

Stroth

Thanks worcboy...

Right now I'm looking at buying it. You can never have enough rods right?

or enough projects....

If it'll throw five oz. and possibly do some chunkin' I'll take it.

Tightlines,

Stroth

The Hardloy guides don't groove from braid. I been fishing exclusively Cortland Spectron on hardloy for about 6 years now , no problem. The tip should be SiC.

The blank the rod is built on is excellent. If people don't like the factory guide layout , you can build custom on the same blank.

Another good blank to consider to cover your canal needs would be the Allstar 1208.

Thanks for the replies.....

I've been skeptical of the grooving issue for awhile.

I do think you can feel the difference in terms of slickness between sic and hardaloy, but whether the guides will actually groove I doubt it, but I would like to see it.

I think the grooving phenomenon is a good way to get anglers to buy up and into sic. I know on the rods that I've built I finally went with the SiC just because I was going to kick myself in the arse if I had problems with the hardaloys.

Turned out the ******* guides were pacific bay. Needles to say my next two rod building projects were stripping and re-building rods, replacing the pac bays with fujis.

I'm at the point now where the pac bay logo makes me want to upck.gif

Well this post has turned into a rant and I apologize, but if it prevents one person form experiencing what I did it is worth it.

Saltheart: thanks for your time....I'll try to be considerate of it and only use one board

I'm gonna put an offer on the rod. What the hell?????