stripercrazy

winter pikie project....post your photos and group questions

Rate this topic

983 posts in this topic

That shape looks fine to me. Pikie 2 or pikie 3 lip should make it swim.

Thanks! It was originally an inch longer but still happy I saved it. BTW has anyone else been accused of smoking weed when your turning AYC? My neighbor walked into the garage and asked why I wasn't sharing! Lol

lets talk eyes......I know some pikies are built with the eyes mid body but I like them up off center....swirlchaser the forehead looks good...its how you like it that matters.....my first ones I came too close to the lipslot when I did it, yours looks good.....the forehead helps keeps the nose down tail up:D

that's a good looking body:D...if I don't mark the eyes sometimes I will use a pencil and mark the body strait down the lip slot and down the body past the top of the forehead(both sides) and then use masking tape and get it 90 degrees with the lines on both sides at the end of the forehead....then I put the eyes up 3/16ths (or what ever you like ) sometimes just inside the forehead looks good too

I haven't even decided on eyes yet lol. I've seen smaal eyes, big ones, recessed ones, raised ones. I think I'm going to go with 4mm recessed eyes. Glad I got on this thread, most people look at a turned body and ask "what color ya gonna paint it?" Guess they don't have the tinkering gene.

One more update. I finally got my hands on a Pikie for reference. It's a Creek Chub about the same size as mine. 2 questions:

1. The lip is 1 3/16" wide. Does that make it a #3?

2. They used a nose grommet behind the lip, is that important?

I would worry more about how your pikie swims than the creek chub. Yes, having one to compare can help, but does it have the same action that you are after? The creek chub lips are different than what most surf guys are using (Moores Lures sells creek chub style lips). Newer style lips are easier to bend to get the pikie to swim on top. Also a little different in terms of the length of the face of the lip. General rule of thumb: 2 oz pikie = pikie 2 lip, 3 oz pikie = pikie 3 lip. Somewhere in between, either lip might work. This is for a straight pikie and one that is flatter than the creek chub. Thinner pikie, may be a smaller lip. Your results may vary, so test out several things and go with what works for your build.

Grommet not needed.

Jigman

questions are great.....its great to have a pikie in the hand....look at the eyes and think on how you want to do yours....I don't use a nose grommet under my lips I never seen a reason too:D

Right now your at the "Individual style" Portion of your build. How you want it to swim, how you want the eyes to look, do you want a nose grommet? Those are choices and none are wrong. It's how we as builders can quickly identify a Fixter, a Jiggy, a Striper Crazy. Make those strokes of genius your own. Then we will criticize you after your done. ;)

On eyes, placement is key only in look and not swim. Unless you do something to change how the water flows past that section. There was a guy here a long while back ( no names) that took large coves out of the plugs face. Looked cool but in fact it altered the plugs design and at faster rates of speed the plug would roll out. When I started I did my impression of the Creek Chub tack eye using brass tacks. From there I went to 3D eyes Now I use a bigger plastic safety eye (Because I found them at a garage sale for cheap.)

If you want to pretest, cut out paper circles of different sizes, place on the side of the plug and see what fits your thought. Individuality makes your plugs unique. Not for the fish but for you.

Move the circles around the head to get a clean look on your design. None is wrong, just what makes you feel good about the cosmetics.

Oh before you do the eyes do your through hole, lip cut, the cove and belly holes, and weight hole. Those are more more important than beauty tips about eyes.

The area between your cove and lip slot is important Hmmmm what should we call it. The pikie face taint!! Make sure you leave enough materiel between the lip slot and the cove portion. To little or too much can cause your plugs action to change

Yesterday the Lathe died on me, (Where's that thread on hidden cost LOL) Anyway finally got the 6 1/4" pikies up to paint. I normally bring my builds up through the primer phase and then later in the building season switch over to painting and epoxy. Moocks is coming over in a day or so and help me dig into the stock head.

Hopefully we get it running soon with some part change outs.

If not painting season will come early.

Here is the pikies. I allow my primer to gas until it has harden and then store the bodies till I feel like painting. Have been powering through the bodies so when I do feel like painting I will have a good selection to work with.

Bodies turned

Hanging and primered

Winch, do you still need a belly grommet when you countersink the hole that way?  I really need to get a drill press.

Need No It's really a personal choice on belly grommets. The countersink is for when I add the grommet before epoxy. That way it lays even with the body. Rather than having to bend the the grommet to fit on the surface

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winch View Post

Need No It's really a personal choice on belly grommets. The countersink is for when I add the grommet before epoxy. That way it lays even with the body. Rather than having to bend the the grommet to fit on the surface

Gotcha, I counter sink mine with a brad point bit for the same effect.  I was thinking i could save on hardware lol.