Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBHarvey

Titanium Spinning Reel Seats?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

TRHe ony Ti seats I know of are for Fly rods. You might be able to use that for a spinner, but I do not think so. THE slots for the reel foot may not be wide enough. I have no idea though

I'm surprised that nobody makes regular spinning reels out of the stuff, although it would probably take quite a bit of the titanium and would be expensive. I guess most people save weight by using graphite seats (which I hate, incidentally). Hopefully someone will make one so us lovers of all things in excess can have something new to drop $80 on.

I used to get Titanium fly seats. They were the Powell style and were $75.00. Someone is making a similar seat and I think REC makes a titanium seat, but it's flimsy in comparison to what I had.

Does not fit many spinning reels, but I'd guess it would hold an Abu very nicely.

I don't neccessarily think it would out-perform graphite or aluminum - I'm just suprised that with all the super-expensive products on the market - like Ti gold cermets and $350 hexagonal blanks - nobody has marketed a Ti seat.

THere are $20-$45 Fuji seats available, Rubberized, colored, and carbon fiber'd. I think Titanium is too soft, and the threads would get al mssed up. I have no idea again, just talking out my butt-hocks.

I was going to make a couple but after priceing the stock (around 300.00 if I remember right).I decided the FUJI Delux seat was just fine.

But if I could buy one at $80.00 I sure would try a couple.

I've worked with a lot of titanium and titanium alloys over the last 30 years and I wouldn't want a reel seat from it. Titanium and its alloys are not very soft. They are also very durable but I think too cold to hold in a bare hand in April/November/december if you ask me. Will conduct heat from your hand like crazy.

I don't see how you can beat a graphite fiber composite for a reel seat application unless you are after a certain look. Performance wise , I'll take the composite.

BTW , most fly reel seats are about the size of a 16 spinner reel seat. Many of the larger spinner reels will not fit. You could try your reel in a standard 16 size seat and if it fits there , i will PROBABLY fit the fly reel seat.

The owner lives in the Netherlands. He posted the photos on Tom K's old site under the user name " martoine " a couple of years ago. Check out the photo of his wood lathe.