Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

More Assembly Required - tight squeeze on butt cap

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Got the cork tape on the butt of my new 1266 yesterday. Looks great - two layers of 1/16" tape rotating in opposite directions. Quick question on the butt cap. The cap is a Fuji BRC25 which seems to be a snug fit on a 1" diameter object. The diameter of the blank + the one layer of tape at the end is about 1.070 inches (measured with caliper). I want to attach the cap with epoxy and I understand it will lubricate some, but I don't want to get started pushing it on only to find out it's too small. Any thoughts? Will it slide on down with U40 rod bond? Or does anyone have a better idea?

Lubricate the inside of the cap with the Rod Bond and also the area on the butt. Slide on the cap, it will stretch. Clean up the squeezed out Rod Bond with Iso alcohol and a paper towel. Wipe it down several times. Let it dry overnight and you are set.

Al knows that I heart.gif him but I have to disagree with him on this one icon15.gif

Those straight walled vinyl gimball covers some folks use for butt caps need the epoxy treatment. The rubber caps put a death grip on cork tape wink.gif

1.put a tightly stretched wrap of electrical tape overlapping the end of the blank to smooth the edge.

2.Drop the cap in a bowl of hot water for 5 minutes and shove it on.

The cap isn't going to come off smile.gif

IMHO epoxy is overkill and only serves to destroy the tape underneath in the likelyhood that you will have to replace a guide before you need to redo the grip.

How do I know? Well... building my first surf rod I finished the underwraps, and then realized, I had to get the cap off to fit the butt of the blank in the chuck of my drying motor icon25.gif

gad

Both are correct, but a little extra help with the epoxy won't hurt. When fishing around jetties the butt cap can get stuck within the rocks and the cap might come off. The butt cap is the last to go on when I'm building a rod.

------------------

Tight lines,

Eric Peterson