Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tws

reel seats...

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

striper folks...

i'm building up a light tackle rod. a two piece g.loomis spinning blank s783-2 GL3, configured for baitcasting.

{excellent i think for taking small strippers in the spillways at los banos reservoir in ca.}

on this will be mounted a calcutta 51 or 151 bait casting reel. the handle, from the butt to the reel seat will be rather long prehaps a foot or more. a very small diameter light cork handle carefully sanded down and wrapped in a dark (black) durable cord - no trigger. essentially the entire handle from butt to foregrip will be covered in whipping.

i have elected for a reel seat the fuji stainless plate type.

see here: at bottom of page

http://www.mudhole.com/docs/seats1.html

the correct size remains an issue, either the

4 3/4 inch or 5 1/2 inch

does anyone have an opinion?

has anyone used these type reel seats? are you satisfied with them?

also i am considering mounting graphite arbors beneath the three wrap points on the reel seat for extra sensitivity.

ideas are welcomed.

thanks,

tws

I have used those plate type seats on 2 rods. Both were glass rods that bent to the butt, you can feel the rod flex in the seat area, I don't like it.

If yer going with that type of seat for more feeling, especially if yer going to forgo the trigger, I'd go with a skeleton type seat.

Something like this....... SKL.jpg

Oh ya, I have the factory MBR783 and all though my 151 no longer resides on that rod, I did have then paired for a bit, I think you'll like that combo smile.gif .

thanks Ed,

i'll give it consideration. i presume one mounts these little skeleton seats on cork against the blank? or graphite arbors against the blank?

are these fuji seats or other? where can one find them?

thanks for your recommendation.

tws

Ya, you can mount them in whatever fashion you would mount a regular seat. I use fiberglass tape, but that's me, do it how you feel the most comfortable.

The idea (at least to me) is to leave the blank exposed for more feel. There are folks cutting trigger seats to do the same, as there are currently no manufactures (I'm aware of) that offer a split or skeleton seat with a trigger.

I got that photo from the same place you posted the link from. The dirt hole, they might have a good web site, but I found there customer service lacking. Try custom tackle or Snyders or others. The seat is an AmTack SKL-16BL seat.

Your welcome & welcome to SOL HappyWave.gif .

I have the plate type on two of my rods. the smaller just barely accepts a squidder, but the bigger won't hold an Abu tight. Bring all the reels you plan to use on the rod to the tackle shop and try them on for size. Buy the smallest that will work.